Best / fastest tyre for XC

rugnugdo
rugnugdo Posts: 68
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Ride to work daily along what used to be an old railway track so pretty flat... the track is predominantly tarmac but with small amounts of compact gravel & dusty but compact tracks.... I don't want complete slicks or urban tyres as I do use the bike for XC once a week

Currently have Panaracer Fire XC which I believe are completely the wrong choice.... very knobbly, heavy and wide...

Was thinking Schwalbe CX Comp / Schwalbe Hurricane / Schwalbe Sammy Slick? anyone had any experience?

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    For this type of work, I use Specialized Captain Control front and Fast Trak rear - but there are lots of other options. The ones you list will all work - I looked at but didnt buy the Hurricanes some years back and they looked pretty good options.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Kinda depends on the terrain you do the XC on as a semi-slick would do for the commuting. Something like a small block 8 might be a decent compromise though.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Good advice - but I had to chuckle as it's amazing what different perspectives on this there are (depending on your riding)....

In my collection of tyres, my Panaracer Fire XC ARE my lightweight and narrow choice :lol::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Conti race kings are what you want, or conti X-kings.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Whyte T120 2012
    Specialized Rockhopper expert
    Specialized Stumpjumper Expert