Back problems!!??..... beginner. Help??

mancamateur
mancamateur Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Afternoon all

Any advice greatly appreciated for what is probably a very difficult question to answer over the net!

I am 6 ft 5in and have recently bought a Specialized Allez Triple (XL), and after 15-20 miles I suffer some back pain. I have previously cycled 60 mile trips on a hybrid without such issues arising.

Does anyone have any advice as to setting up the bike for the optimum riding position on a road bike?

I did warn you it was a fairly vague question.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    The search function is your friend...
    viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12845410
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Where abouts in your back?
  • Where abouts in your back?

Lower back.
  • TheFD wrote:
    The search function is your friend...
    viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12845410

Sounds like a Bike Fit may be helpful....... if a little expensive.
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    Yep sounds like your stretching out too much, and your supporting too much of your upper body weight with your lower back.
    If you didn't have this issue on your hybrid use this as a template and try to set your Allez up the same.
    Check the distance from your seat-tube to your handlebars on both bikes. You can fit a smaller stem if needed.
    Check the distance from the seat-tube to the front of the saddle and try to get this the same too.
    Check seat height and handle bar height too.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Where abouts in your back?

Lower back.

Happens an awful lot - especially when you move to a road bike where the position is much lower.

I'm currently getting a fair bit since I've gone for an aggressive position on my bike and I'm on a single speed.

As said above - a few things you can do.

a) work on it > go through the pain.

b) raise your handlebars / move them closer towards you.

I found flexible hamstrings help.

Main thing to note is - it's very common.
  • KINGGARY
    KINGGARY Posts: 89
    It may be a core muscle group weakness, I had this issue when going from a mountain bike to a road bike a few years ago.
    I suffer a lot from lower back pain and started doing the plank and a few other strengthening exercises on a daily basis, it only takes a few moments of your time and my core has strengthened no end.
    Might be worth giving it a go and seeing if it helps you.
  • Kinggary; Will give it a try. The Plank looks quite simple, interesting to hear its effective.