2012 XT or X9 experiences?

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,664
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Old groupset is rapidly wearing out and I'm looking to upgrade it soon (just getting the whole thing as a set will probably be cheaper). Has anyone got any experience with XT or X9 for fairly standard GB riding and some XC racing?

Any stories welcome...

Thanks!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, I tested them for WMB and found XT to be the better made and better shifting.

Since that though SRAM have upgraded the X9 shifters which are improved (more precise, less lever play), and XT has revised their crank. I still think XT is the better bet.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    2012 XT is great and given you can get a groupo excl. brakes for £350, and with brakes for £500, its a bargain. Never liked SRAM, so cannot comment as I ditched it in 2009 and have never gone back.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ddraver
    Hmm, yours is the only comparative review I cans find sonic and, no offence, I was hoping for at least one more. I ve tried to find shops with bikes with both, but MTBing is nt common enough over here...
    - @ddraver
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    no experience of the 2012 SRAM stuff, but my 2012 XT groupset has been worth every penney. Shifting is light, precise and consistent, no matter what the weather conditions (liking the new addition of being able to drop 2 gears at a time now as well).

It takes some abuse too with anything i've thrown at it, from light XC work to freeride park playing
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've just upgraded my bike to 2012 XT and it's a bit good. Got rid of older X7/X9 mix and it's a lot better than that was. Shifting is excellent and set up was a doddle.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • benpinnick wrote:
    2012 XT is great and given you can get a groupo excl. brakes for £350, and with brakes for £500, its a bargain. Never liked SRAM, so cannot comment as I ditched it in 2009 and have never gone back.

Blimey, where did you see that price?, i've been searching for ages and not seen it for less than £560 with brakes!!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Group-set from action-sports.de (they even let you choose the options like iSpec etc.) - its actually about 335 delivered. You pay £135 for discs no rotors from Rose, and then get any old discs to suit. If you really want shimano ones, then that does push the price closer to £560, as they're £22 each from Action.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Cant comment on the 2012 kit but I can on 2011 XT and X9. XT wins hands down the X9 rear mech was as wobbly as a jelly after 6 months and started ghost shifting when cornering or pedalling hard. The X9 shifters also got very stiff but with play in the downshift lever. The front X9 mech is fine though and shifts beautifully so I am still using it with my XT shifter.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Practically everyone I ride with swears by SRAM, but personally I've never got on with it, but then these guys also swear by hope products, and we all know how brilliant they are...

The 2011 xt I have has been absolutely faultless over the last year, so much so I bought another xt setup for my hardtail. The only difference between the setups is the cassettes, ones xt and the other is SRAM 1050, so are pretty similar group wise, well you would think! The SRAM one I'd absolute shite, it has never shifted well, no matter what adjustments I make so I chucked the xt wheel in and it was smooth as silk... Won't bother with SRAM again!
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I much prefer SRAM, but the majority of my riding buddies love Shimano... it's a personal thing I guess
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • stubs wrote:
    Cant comment on the 2012 kit but I can on 2011 XT and X9. XT wins hands down the X9 rear mech was as wobbly as a jelly after 6 months and started ghost shifting when cornering or pedalling hard. The X9 shifters also got very stiff but with play in the downshift lever. The front X9 mech is fine though and shifts beautifully so I am still using it with my XT shifter.

Recently had exactly the same ghost shifting problem on the X9 rear mech. Was really bad when pedalling hard uphill, always at the wrong moment. Have managed to fix the problem for now but am looking to change to XT in the next couple of months. After some of the comments that have been posted so far it looks like the way to go.
  • ddraver
    Thanks Guys - Keep 'em coming!
    - @ddraver