Advice on buying a Hardtail (1k limit) C2W

chally3
chally3 Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Good morning to you all,

I am sure this has been asked many times before,but we have just signed up to the cycle to work scheme (Halfords) & the wife & I have decided to participate. I'm normally ok with picking bikes, but I am really stuck with the £1k limit( I wanted a Whyte 809, sadly at £1099 I cant have one) and Halfords cannot source Ghost on Be Onone bikes either :( :roll: However, for £1k I am going back to a hardtail.

I would appreciate any feedback on the models below I have found, or any I have missed that I could consider.

For myself

Cannondale SL 29er 2
Cannondale Trail SL1
Scott Scale 60
Whyte 805 - really want a 809!

For the wife

Scott Contessa Scale 20 OR 30
Womens Marin juniper trail

Halfords say they axcn source the following manufacturers

Specialized
Cube
Scott
Giant
Cannondale
Felt
Trek
Marin
Brompton
GT
Charge
Bianchi
Ridgeback
Focus
Whyte
Claud Butler
Genesis
Orbea
Lapierre
Commencal
Mongoose
Orange
Wilier
Montague
Concept
Merida
Saracen
Moda
Dolan

Thanks for any advice as I'm truely stuck!

Comments

• What sort of stuff will you be riding?

And are you considering the Boardmans? Great VFM.
    I would suggest looking at the Cube Ltd range too. Lightweight, well-specced XC bike that works well on trails too. I don't want them to get too popular (as I have one), but I feel that you could be missing out if you don't try one.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • chally3
    chally3 Posts: 7
    Hiya, thanks for reply - just for trails really. I'm lucky enough to live by The South Downs

Boardmans, yes seen them & dotn really know what Cube model to look at. Thanks again, I will have a nose around at them.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I don't want them to get too popular (as I have one), but I feel that you could be missing out if you don't try one.
    I see them at least once everywhere i go. They are already mainstream!
  • Have a look at my response here to a similar question as I think the answer is just as valid.

Charge Cooker Hi
  • I see them at least once everywhere i go. They are already mainstream!
    [/quote]
    Agreed - they have an increasingly large distribution network. The Germans are taking over! :D
    It did put me off a bit, but ultimately it was about the best bike for the money. Seemed stupid buying a bike that didn't feel as good, just because noone else had one.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)