The worst job you ever had

2»

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Cubic wrote:
    Mine was working for 118118 for six months a few years ago. You'd go into this huge office with row after row of computers, find a free one, plug in your headset and from then everything would be monitored. How long you were in the toilet, your average time to find a number, whether you used the correct opening sentence when answering the calls etc. You weren't allowed to talk to your colleagues, you'd never even sit next to the same people twice, so you couldn't get to know anyone.
    Saying 'welcome to 118118, how may I help you?' about 400 times per day really started to grate after a while. That, combined with the abuse you'd frequently get for taking more than 20 seconds to get a number or asking how you spell Auchterarder for example, made it my worst!

Like this you mean? :(

E7640269-Battery_hens-SPL.jpg

How in God's name did we get to this as a society?
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Like this you mean? :(

E7640269-Battery_hens-SPL.jpg

How in God's name did we get to this as a society?

Yup, pretty much sums it up!
  • Home Bargains.

The managers had the attitude of "you should be grateful we employ you", then expect you to work extra hours at no notice for no pay. Yeh alright then. Timed me having a crap once too. Apparently 8 minutes is unacceptable. They also can sack you at no notice and for no reason, so I decided to drop them in it by not turning up at no notice and for no reason instead. Hopefully the fat fuck of a manager got out of his office and did something himself.

Should have known when they looked at my CV(in total, 5 years at Morrisons and Tescos), and said "you may not like our methods here, we're slightly different to work for".
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Recycling fizzy drinks cans.

It was soda pressing....

Love n hugs

DD

(already wearing her coat and heading for the door)
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Warehouse work: During NVQ Retail and Distribution but ended up doing 60+hr weeks for the paltry £45 govt payment. It was costing me as much to get there.

Worked on a farm until a horse's hoof connected with the inside of my leg,not far from me jewels. Quit there and then and very painfully got on my motorbike and went home. Fair amount of blood de-horning bulls too,although sitting down to lunch with blood all over my face resulted in choice words.

Bin-man: was only a days agency cover,but wheeling bins in Belfast that are covered in boke,urine and god know what other body fluids. No thanks!

Thankfully I enjoy my current job (mainly as I'm pretty much my own boss)
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Burger King as a student and after I graduated. Had to clean shit off the Walls and ceiling in the toilets as a crew member. Women's toilet was always worse for some reason. Why do women insist on putting on lipstick then kissing the mirror? Don't they know how hard it is to get off?? Then as a manager stress when it was busy and on a sunny Saturday half your staff would call in 'sick' or even worse get their parents to do it.

BMW service advisor. Took endless abuse from complete cocks who thought they had made it in life because they had a base model 316 as a company car. The private owners with 7 series, X5, M5s were really nice but the company car drivers were wankers. Had keys thrown at me, threaten with being run down in the car park, and threatened with violence when a repair wasn't covered by warranty.

Current job as a police officer been spat at in my face, bitten, kicked, punched, and a Friday and Saturday night doesn't go by with at some point being called a bald Charlie uniform November tango! Wouldn't mind but there is hair there, just very short!!! got to say still generally love it apart from having pension increases and pay freezes imposed on me with no right to strike. Hey ho...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Not a job, but one part of a former job, in which I'd spend all day Thursday and most of Friday sorting cooks' dirty laundry into different bags to be picked up and taken away.

In winter it was just about bearable, but in summer when the sun streamed through the windows and onto the dirty clothes lockers... I'm not quite sure how I didn't catch some unknown disease and die a horrible death.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I've been lucky really, I've managed to get jobs I've wanted to do. My current job has some gruesome bits to it but they make it a bit different and add to the sense of doing something useful for other people.
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    tim wand wrote:
    Worked in the "Dice Lung" section of Pedigree Petfoods.

Basically 20 kilo 1 metre by 1 metre frozen slabs of Cows lungs and offal were brought in loaded into a banding machine and cut into strips and then put through a steam condensor onto a conveyor belt.

You then had to pick out the bits of trachea and bone from the diced meat cubes.

You worked in white overalls and looked like Freddy Kreuger by the time you finished.

Still after 26 years continious employment (In other jobs ) up to last week and only one meeting with the JSA I'd go back tomorrow for half wages.
    Not in Peterborough are you ?
    One of my ex jobs was working for Salvesens who took over a lot of that dirty stuff Pedigrees didnt want to do on site.
    I worked in the engineering dept so didnt get involved with the filthy stuff, but did do a couple weeks in the fish factory. Christ, trailer loads of fish offal, heads and crud, slipping all over the place, minced up into those slabs you're talking about. Showered when finished, clean clothes....home eating dinner, you suddenly get a whiff. It gets in the skin, there's no escape.

These cretins who eat petfood for a lark or to prove a point are nuts...ive seen how its made. :?
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    edited April 2012
    I've deleted this because i don't like to be reminded of it.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    12hr nights cleaning out shale from rsj's in roof of some part of the steel works in port talbot during a shutdown.

climb up to the roof with no safety equipement,scoop the shale out with your hands and drop it down to your mate so he can stick it in a barrow and wheel it away.
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Timed me having a crap once too. Apparently 8 minutes is unacceptable.

8 minutes? What was the rush?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Mouth wrote:

I was being polite!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • As a 19 year old training maintenance engineer I once got a written warning for excessive flatulence.
    As I didn`t give a sh1t at the time i ripped it up and threw it in the bin in front of the bulling manager.
    The manager in question used to pin one of my older colleagues to a wall by the throat.
    I told my work colleague to either protect him self or report this to the polic
    He didn`t and put up with it.
    I told him watch what happens if the Bullying manager tries his luck with me.Work colleague said yeah yeah I sure you will.
    Months later the manager did try his luck and yep little old me protected myself leaving large bullying manager on the floor rather embarrassed.
    Older work colleague was in shock as I delivered the goods and the bullying manager stopped bullying.
    I wish we had mobile phones back then, so I could of video bullying manager in action so I didnt have to get my hands dirty.
    Life teaches you many lessons.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Well i never thought i,d get this off my chest but here go,s. When i first moved to the Netherlands i went to a shipyard. I was told over the phone it was to adjust something. When i got there i was confronted by what i can only describe as the biggest f@@k up i,ve ever seen in my life and my job was to fix it.This shipyard had the minimum of tools and equipment and i was facing an uphill struggle to say the least The man who did it has gone on the sick. I won,t go into detail but it took 7 week,s to fix, sorry (adjust) this f@@k up. What made me laugh was when they told me the name of the man who had made this mistake in the first place. His name was Lex Scheepsbouwer which translated mean,s Lex Shipbuilder. My ar@e he was.To add insult to injury the day he came back off the sick was the day i finished th
    e job and i was paid off
    Ademort.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Mouth wrote:

At the shipyard where i worked in England i was told that in the 50,s and 60,s they used to have tellers on the door at the toilets and you got 7 minutes to go to the WC. If you were going to the toilet you would just tell a colleague i,m going for 7 and they knew what you meant. That saying is still used to this day i,m told.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura