Help with training doing paris to oxford

littlejane
littlejane Posts: 15
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I am a total newbie to road cycling and am about 5ft nothing. I have been doing loads of spin classes but as I have found out it doesn't compare to being on the road. I have been training since late Feb and am now up to 60 miles. I am trying to do 25 miles each night with an average speed of 16. I am due to do the Paris to Oxford bike ride on 1st June. We will be going from arc de triomphe in Paris to blenheim palace and doing it all in three days, so averaging nearly 100 miles a day. I am addicted but am struggling. I really need help with nutrition and or extra training as one day I can feel great and really fit and today doing the same route I am shattered. What am I doing wrong? Please help!!! Jane x

Comments

• cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    You're probably not stoking up with enough energy rich drinks and food. If you're eating normally then take something calorie rich before hand to start your ride then keep drinking it. There is a lot on drinks etc. on this site a couple are below.

viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12842225
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... onk-17082/

I would think you should plan at least 50 this w/e but more if you have a wheel to draught. You need to ramp the distances up each w/e because getting long miles in to build stamina should be your main aim. Your average speed is pretty good for 25 miles so on some evenings increase the distance. 300 miles in 3 days is some going but if you're in company I guess you'll be okay.

But get your energy/recovery drinks sorted.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    Well Jane, we may well pass you on the way, as we're doing London to Paris on 2-4 June, stopping at Arras and Compiégne on the way.

I'm in the same boat as you. Training-wise I've as best I can with the little time I've had. I work 9-5 and as a single Dad, I get to have my little one at weekends so time is precious. I've managed to ride just short of 1,500 miles this year so far, mostly in the evenings.

Have been eating my main meal of the day at lunchtime to give me enough fuel to go out and do 30-40 miles 3/4 evenings a week. I've been out on the club runs every other Sunday and so far I'm feeling pretty good and looking good too, having lost another 1/2 stone and being below 15st for the first time in 7 years. Bearing in mind I was 17st last Jan, I'm going in the right direction.

I've been gradually increasing my distances. Completed my first century of the year last weekend and managed to ride two half century's in the two following days so I know now what sort of discomfort I'll be in come June 4th when I get to Paris.

Nutrition-wise everyone is different. I start with a bowl of porridge and then have 2 scrambled egg-on-toast for breakfast before I long ride, knowing full well I'll burn most of that off. I usually eat cereal bars out on the bike for convenience and I carry two 750ml bottles of 4:1 carbs/protein energy drink but then carry enough power with me for another 3 bottles worth. For my century last week, I ate 4 cereal bars and a packet of mini flap-jacks, those that you can pick up in Tesco's and Sainsbury's for £1 a packet. Probably more than what I needed but I stuffed the whole lot and I only stopped for comfort breaks. On the L2P trip, we're stopping at least once a day at halfway, so we'll be able to get a decent meal too.

You'll be fine just as long as you keep riding. Try and increase your mileage gradually and build up to some longer rides at weekends. I cant stress enough to invest in a proper energy drink, and when I say that I dont mean Lucozade.

Good luck! :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Eating:

Before - pack in the food beforehand. Doesn't mater what too much - carbs usually help - especially those that burn more evenly.

During - eat little and often - I tend to eat on the bike for rides over an hour or hour and a half (depending on how thin i am!). When I do, it's as frequent as every 15-20 minutes or so. Anything works. Bananas, sweets, syrup cake. Whatever you fancy.

Afterwards - Make sure you pack it in afterwards - carbs & protein are always good. People get hung up about sports drinks or whatever - go for it if you like it. I find a big bowl of sausage pasta works just as well.

Training:

Mix it up. Don't make it ALL hard - and understand you gain the fitness when you rest after a big effort.

If you're training hard make sure there's a day in the week when you don't cycle, or at least, only turn the legs rather than effort 7 days a week.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,617
    A couple of thoughts -

Unless there's a rush on each day of the trip, don't worry about keeping up a particular speed. You'll have 12-hour days, so you could chug along at 10mph and still get there. The rides where I'm most likely to blow out are the ones where there's a headwind, and I'm trying to keep up a certain speed. Always take it easier on the early parts of rides, and you'll go much further in comfort. If you've got oopmh left towards the end, tat's the time to push it a bit.

Eat sensible stuff - don't go for loads of purely sugary drinks etc. as you'll end up with highs and lows. As others have mentioned - plenty of good carbs (pasta, fruit, flapjack), and keep eating/drinking as you go - don't wait till you feel thirsty/hungry.

If you try a few really steady rides like this, increasing up to about 70/80 miles, you'll know you can do the trip. Good luck.
  • Thanks Guys for all the advice it is much appreciated and so nice to have people in the know. I def havent been eating enough food to be sure and only take a camel pack with water. I will take all your comments on board re nutrition Think I will be doing 60 miler this Friday sun and Monday to see how I get on. Johnboy good luck with your challenge and yes at some point we will cross over hopefully its down hill coming back into England. Think the L2P trip is done over 4 days and we are trying to do this paris to oxford in 3!! as just found out that the olypic torch will be carried through Blenheim when we arrive with nearly 4'000.00 people there.... gulp!!! no pressure then.
    Brian that sounds like a good plan actually!! Think I am setting my goals to high as trying to keep same pace!! Rik cheers dont feel so guilty taking a day out. cyco2 cheers for link taken on board and much appreciated.
    Our Route is
    Day 1 Arc de Triomphe to Evreux
    DAY 2 Evreux to Caen/Ouistreham
    Day 3 Portsmouth to Oxford
    happy cycling guys x
  • Just a thought guys. johnboy you said you did your first century then two 50 milers after that. I am up to 60 do you think its worth trying to do century now or just carry on with the 60 milers for a couple of weeks and increase gradually.
    As I know over the three days we will be doing the ride, that is going to be the daily mileage.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    littlejane wrote:
    Just a thought guys. johnboy you said you did your first century then two 50 milers after that. I am up to 60 do you think its worth trying to do century now or just carry on with the 60 milers for a couple of weeks and increase gradually.
    As I know over the three days we will be doing the ride, that is going to be the daily mileage.

Whatever you fancy!

Anyone who's already done 50 or 60 can do 100.

It's more how much you'll suffer doing it...
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Nutrition is the key to these endurance rides. If you can do 100 miles one day you can do it consecutive days providing you give your body everything it needs and don't suffer any injuries.

Before the ride be sure to load up on a good healthy meal full of carbs and protein. During the ride stay hydrated and take on food at regular intervals that feels right for you (this part varies from person to person so use your time preparing to see how much food and water you need if you're on the bike for more than 2 hours). Recovery after a days riding is really where the trip will be made easy or impossible. Get off the bike and and stretch out. Everyone has their preference for what to do but this video is a handy starting point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLrfCb6eElA. Have a protein meal or shake as soon after as possible because it'll make a huge difference to how your muscles feel the following morning.

If it was me I'd be sure to do at least 80 miles once before you go so that you know how it feels to go that far and spend that long in the saddle. If you can do 60 now you'll be able to do the hundred in a full day but the experience of how it feels will be invaluable when it comes to pacing yourself for a 3 day effort.
  • Cheers for that. Just did 63 miles Friday and 62 miles Sunday. Looking to do 25/30 mid week days and then 75 miles over weekend. Find it hard to pack in all the food as 5ft 1 and 8 stone 10lb but it makes all the difference. Just found out can't stomach certain isotonic drinks. Anyone have any favourites.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,617
    littlejane wrote:
    Cheers for that. Just did 63 miles Friday and 62 miles Sunday. Looking to do 25/30 mid week days and then 75 miles over weekend. Find it hard to pack in all the food as 5ft 1 and 8 stone 10lb but it makes all the difference. Just found out can't stomach certain isotonic drinks. Anyone have any favourites.
    Sounds like a good mix of riding. Re food: keep snacking through the day - my friends don't believe how much I eat, and come the evening I don't stop. I quickly end up with an empty stomach. Just make sure it's a healthy mix. Drinks for the ride - I make up a mix of 50/50 mix of fruit juice and water, and bung in some maltodextrin (one scoop per 250ml), as it's about a quarter of the price of something like High 4:1, and tastes better. It seems to help on intense long rides.