Two questions about forks

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I have 2 questions tonight about completely different situations:

Firstly, my friend has a problem with his front brake and every time he uses it, the wheel rubs against the left side of the wheel. I have never heard of this so I don't know how to fix it for him. When I checked it over, it was fine and was all aligned but as it was tested, the problem returned. Is it the fork being rubbish and moving when the brake is applied, the caliper being mis-adjusted, the wheel is completely useless or am i being a complete idiot and forgetting something?

And my second topic is that I have got my forks in the mail and it need to have the object inside the tubing so it can clamp on to the headset. :? How are these inserted or does it need a professional? And also, how do you set sag for the forks (its a Suntour XCR LO)? :|

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Q 1 - how flexy is the wheel - if you grab it and flex it hard, can you move it to one side?

Q 2 - You need a star fangled nut or expander wedge. Both can be fitted at home, but Star Fangled nuts can be a pain, and only take 30 seconds with the right tool, so might be worth either - getting the tool (superstar sell them fairly cheap), or probably getting a shop to insert one for you. Expander wedges can be used instead of the SFN and cost £5 - £20 and are a very easy home fitting job.

Info you might find useful: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... stallation
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • MTB noob
    MTB noob Posts: 272
    1) The wheel is quite solid and it has no sideways play which is the reason why i'm stumped by it.

2) Thanks for the advice - i'll look up on chainreaction or something else then and do it myself.
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    1 - replace cheapo skewer with a shimano one. That fixed the same problem for me anyway. Stupid mechanic at the LBS tried to tell me all bikes do it, funny then that a new skewer fixed the problem straight away.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava