Oh Lord.

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
I'd been pressuring my mate to get some decent pedals for ages; now he's started an 18 mile country commute rather than his 9 mile through the middle of Nottingham one he needs some

So he got some - m530s and new shoes with cleats and everything.

Only.... it's less than a week since he's started pedalling with them.

Last Thursday (first day with pedals): Top of Bunny Hill, me waiting for him; he gets to the top wants to rest, clipless moment and he topples. It was fricking hilarious: right in front of me... the whole foot move, foot wobble, foot frantic wobble, leg wobble,WHOLE BLOODY BODY WOBBLE.... lean... lean more.... lean LOTS. WHUMP!!! I applauded. If I'd had cards I would've marked him about a 9.9.

Yesterday: I get caught in the queuing traffic, he goes tanking past overtaking everything and cuts across at the roundabout (turning left) :shock: I get there to find him in a heap on the verge laughing his socks off. He's decided to wait for me and had a clipless

Tonight: I get a text.... I've had another clipless. Broken a finger.

He didn't cycle on Friday.

I dread tomorrow now.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Oh jeez ex

I laughed til it hurt. Trouble is we've all done it (well I admit to it at least) but three times in a week is a bit excessive.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    Thought this was going to be another of your cycling prayers, or a take on "...won't you buy me a [Maclaren Venge]". "Mah friends all ride Dogmas, Ah mus' make aymends".

But srsly, does he have the tension done up too tight?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    I set the tension myself. All the way clockwise right?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,357
    edited April 2012
    I set the tension myself. All the way clockwise right?
    :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I got my first set of toe straps and cleats about 26 years ago. I had a "oh bugger, can't put foot down" moment once, the first or second time I did the straps up properly. Never did it again, and have never had a clipless moment. Your mate must be a slow learner. =)

I can understand a cleats & straps moment far more than clipless ones. Straps were always a bit harder to undo, as it meant leaning down, and took a bit of time. Clipless are just a quick flick, so you really have to be away with the fairies to mess them up, I reckon.

(Cue my first clipless moment any day now...)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    Yes, we've all done it. But the difference is, it happens ONCE and then you learn. Obviously not in his case.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Kieran_Burns
    more info on last night:

Unclipped.
    Lifted foot clear of pedal
    Came to junction
    Put foot down
    Caught pedal on way down and clipped in again.
    Totter, totter.... whump.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Cycling home last night. Sat at some lights (Shock horror).

See a shadow approaching me from behind. Turn round just in time to see someone stack it completely next to me. Somehow I managed not to laugh and managed to ask (trying so hard not to sound patronising) if he was ok as he was trying to untangle himself from his bike on the floor.

He was devastated. Poor chap.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    On my way home last week, was coming up to a fairly busy T junction, i was on the main drag and pulling out turning right a woman had a clipless moment in the middle of what is a fairly busy road.

i stopped to see if she was ok, physically she was fine but she was rather embarrased and was snivvling a bit, I asked her about clipless and if she had used them before. she said she had - on a spinning bike!!!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills