New Pedals -

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I need some new cleats, currently using R540 SPD-SL pedals on my bike, but rather than just buying some new cleats i thought i'd just buy some new pedals as the R540's are a bit battered. :oops:

so what should i go for?

Keo Easy, More 540's or the SPD style M520's?

I am also thinking about getting some new shoes; but the shoes i use now are DHB R1 so they take both 2 bolt and 3 bolt cleats so at the moment compatibily wont be an issue!

I am leaning towards the M520's as the SPD style seem to be allot more popular with commuters and as i only have one bike (ATM until SWMBO says otherwise) that will always be used for commuting then these seem the best choice.

Thoughts?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• I use Keo classics and they have the loveliest, smoothest bearings of any pedal I've ever used. That said, they aren't easy to clip into, and the cleats wear out far too quickly.

Used to have M520s, the bearings were rubbish, but the cleats lasted forever. If you want to go mountain bike pedals, I have some Time pedals which are a really nice mixture.
  • Oh, and road shoes are lethal if you use mountain bike pedals. Don't go near any concrete stairs.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think that's just the Look cleats. My Shimanos are ok for walking.
    I hear time wear out quickly
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    coriordan wrote:
    I think that's just the Look cleats. My Shimanos are ok for walking.
    I hear time wear out quickly

They used to, but I think they gone some way towards resolving that on the new pedals, or so I hear.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rubertoe
    So avoid SPD with road shoes! Fair enough - i have to walk down and up a fire escape when leaving my flat (metal stairs) with the bike via the back door. and they are trecherous enough with "grippy" SPD SL's :shock:

So i may as well stick to the R540's until i get a new bike and some new shoes.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If you're getting new shoes, think about SPDs with MTB shoes - I use this combo for commuting and it's the most practical I've used. For sure avoid Keos - cleats made of cheese would be more robust. I used SPD cleats on road shoes - not comfortable but didn't find it dangerous either. You can get adaptors that put "feet" either side of the cleat on road shoes but, if you're buying shoes, this isn't an issue. I've not had any issues with M520s and they are so cheap (make sure you buy with cleats included) issues don't break the bank
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I went for the slightly more expensive pd-m540 rather than the 520s as the bearings are supposed to be better. Although its not 'right' to use MTB shoes on a road bike I think it's the sensible thing for regular commuting.
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    i'd give another vote for MTB/SPD. some manufacturers seem to make a MTB shoe which is basically a road shoe with a tread. i got some mavic... furys? furies? in a sale last year for touring with A530s and they are fine off the bike.

as a side note though i'm not really convinced that clipless is necessary for commuting, with all the stop starts and walky bits. on my city commute traffic lights often trigger large swarms of meandering, shoegazing cyclists which are a bit of a hazard. the most practical city setup i've used is probably flat pedals with a toe scoop at the end made from cut down clips. hold your foot in place in wet weather, but give you instant egress.
  • meanredspider
    diplomacy wrote:
    as a side note though i'm not really convinced that clipless is necessary for City commuting,

FTFY - I know you go on to explain about the city bit but I'm just trying to win back the word "commuting" for real cycling. All too often I hear people say "it's good enough for commuting" or "that overkill for commuting" or "not necessary for commuting" without qualifying it. Plenty of us do considerable miles (typically 120 a week in my case) in open countryside "just commuting" averaging speeds approaching 20mph in the better months. Not all commuting is dawdling from one set of lights to the next on a hybrid with panniers wearing a fluoro jacket over your work clothes....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe
    To be fair my commute is through the city - but i like to get out on the weekends as well and extend my ride home of an evening in the lanes around where i live. so i wouldnt want to use flats.

• meanredspider
    Yup - I don't actually buy the arguement anyway - SPDs at least couldn't be easier so clipping in and out isn't an issue
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I only have 1 bike.....so its the best I can make it!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Yup - I don't actually buy the arguement anyway - SPDs at least couldn't be easier so clipping in and out isn't an issue

You'd of thought so, but plenty don't seem to do the wobble off slowly, looking at their feet job.

hybrids and high vis are the norm, yes some folks do high speed/high milage commutes but they are the exemption not the rule.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    I think the ultimate and easiest pedal/cleat for city commuting has to be speedplays.
    Not cheap but the best for clipping in without a second thought.
    Yes the cleats are a little larger but with the coffee shop covers they are fine for walking on any surface.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    How far do folk walk in their cycling shoes? I hear all these anecdotes of KEO cleats wearing out quickly and yet, I manage to make mine last for ages.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    At the end of the day, road shoes and pedals, are meant purely for cycling in, some cleats might have softer rubber bits, for walking from you bike to an espresso dispensary, but that's often because without them, the hard plastic of the cleat literally is impossible to walk on if you come into contact with the wrong surface.

So if walking a fair (especially on tiled stairs etc) in the cycling shoes is literally unavoidable you're probably better off with MTB shoes.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    domgears wrote:
    I think the ultimate and easiest pedal/cleat for city commuting has to be SPDs.
    Cheap and the best for clipping in without a second thought.

Fixed that for you :wink: (You can't really get any easier than 'put your foot on the pedal'!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Oh, and road shoes are lethal if you use mountain bike pedals. Don't go near any concrete stairs.

Tell me about it. I'm currently nursing a severely bruised a**e after falling down my concrete stairs last Sunday.
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    diplomacy wrote:
    as a side note though i'm not really convinced that clipless is necessary for City commuting,

FTFY - I know you go on to explain about the city bit but I'm just trying to win back the word "commuting" for real cycling. All too often I hear people say "it's good enough for commuting" or "that overkill for commuting" or "not necessary for commuting" without qualifying it. Plenty of us do considerable miles (typically 120 a week in my case) in open countryside "just commuting" averaging speeds approaching 20mph in the better months. Not all commuting is dawdling from one set of lights to the next on a hybrid with panniers wearing a fluoro jacket over your work clothes....

thanks for the refinement, and you are quite right. i did mean it as a side note though, and not referring to anyone here. there seems to be plenty of people here who commute as a daily audax or a daily TT but that is probably not the norm and i guess i have a general unease at the spread of cycle sport equipment into areas where it is not that well suited. that's not the conversation of this thread though.

more on subject cleats can also make a difference. the SPD multi angle cleats (SH56?) are pretty much effortless, you just mash your foot down and it goes in, and any natural movement you would make to leave the pedal releases it.
  • I use Keo classics and they have the loveliest, smoothest bearings of any pedal I've ever used. That said, they aren't easy to clip into, and the cleats wear out far too quickly.

**Thread resurrection**

Been meaning to post back on this: Bought some Exustar cleats to replace the last lot I wore out. These ones have a layer of grippier and harder-wearing material on the base:

70517.jpg

The result? Six weeks in and not even the diamond pattern on the base of them has worn through. Normal Keo cleats would be halfway dead at this point. Highly recommended.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My Keo cleats last ages, I just make sure I put the cleat covers on whenever I get off the bike. SPD's are the most sensible option for commuting through stop start traffic, but single sided pedals are OK once you get used to them.
  • BigMat wrote:
    My Keo cleats last ages, I just make sure I put the cleat covers on whenever I get off the bike. SPD's are the most sensible option for commuting through stop start traffic, but single sided pedals are OK once you get used to them.

They're fine, I'm used to them, but they're in no way as easy as SPDs to clip-in.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    On my commuting bike, I use M324 double sided (flat and SPD) pedals and Mavic SPD trainers.
    The pedals allow me to pedal on either side when pulling away from a set of lights as if I get the SPD side, I clip in easily and if I get the flat, I can still get the power down and clip in on the next revolution.
    The Mavic trainers don't look much like cycling shoes, so don't seem out of place off the bike. They have a decent sole with plenty of grip too. The only downside is that at the slightest hint of moisture, my feet get soaked.

I don't understand people who say you they can't see the point of clipless commuting (in an urban environment, MRS). With the right pedal/shoe combination and proper technique (which they may not have yet) it just makes life much easier as well as not wearing out the soles of whatever shoes they are wearing.
    I commuted on flat pedals in trainers for a brief period. I've never worn through a pair of trainers so quickly in my life.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    +1 for the M324's

Only very occasionally catch an edge and have a little bit of a fumble but thats probably my technique. Don't have to clip and unclip so often on my more rural commute (maybe 2-3 times each way?) so prob just dont 'have it down' the way others do!

Like that I CAN just jump on without my spd shoes and post a letter or something too. Do so very very rarely but its worth it to keep one side as 'flats' for me.
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    dHb R1 + spd cleat with floats + A520 pedals. Works for me.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I am currently wearing a pair of 5-10 Minaars with SPD cleats. I got off the bike about four hours ago. Sometimes I wear them all day even when not riding. Just saying......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.