BIG LAD req,s Wheel/tyre advice

twedspeed
twedspeed Posts: 130
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hi I,m over 17 stone and I recently bought a 2011 CANNONDALE BADBOY SLX HEADSHOCK Hybrid / Mtb hardtail - but it has really skinny SCHWALBE Kojack ? tyres ! - I find it hard to stop without skidding, and I,m sure theyre skittering outwards in tight cornering at speed. and its unsettling me a bit.
Can some one reccomend a larger wider tyre with better grip that will fit between this bikes stays and the headshock F/forks and also fit on its CANNONDALE C2 rimms.

ALSO....In the past my size has seen a few catastrophic fails as wheels have collapsed I posted on the Roadie section and was advised to have a wheel built with more spokes as thats were the strength lies - But I dont think Down Hill MTB riders rely solely on spokes - can anyone reccomend a D-Hill strength rear wheel build that will fit between my stays ? any help very much appreciated
WHYTE LIGHTNING - CARBON S/L - NOMAD anyone see a patern emerging ????????

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    STOP BLOODY SHOUTING, WE CAN STILL SEE IT IN LOWER CASE!

locking/skidding is down to brake control, try running less pressure too. Wheel wise, don't worry about it until it breaks, then most things such as stans flow or mavic en521/ex712 etc are all fine for the obese :wink:
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    err tyres see

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tAodRRtsyA

they are not strictly for commuting, but should be a good choice

for strong wheels, spoke count helps, so for extra strong 36 spoke wheel

and rim width, 31-34mm is wide enough for most people use in DH, I use sun rims and have some MTX that are 34mm, very strong many sideways landings... but commuting, 27mm max i guess, i mean there is not 100ft jumps on your way to work

pinned rims are stronger than wielded rims, and spoke gauge make a huge difference, so DT comps or heavier, keep away from the dt revolution types
  • I run around 2 stone heavier than you and have always gone for DH type wheels but never had an issue regardless of what I've bought.

I currently run Mavic 819 UST's with DT Competition spokes, the same as my mate who weighs 3 stone lighter than me but he got his from an on-line dealer and the wheel build was shocking... His spokes were always coming lose and his wheels going out of true... My advice would find a good wheel builder and get them done properly...
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,234
    Mavic XM 719 on Hope pro 2's.

/thread.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    I started riding at 115kg and am now 98kg. I have Mavic EN521 on Hope Pro 2 on both my bikes. I could have gone with either Stan's Flow or them and there were no Flows around for my LBS to build up. They remain true, reliable and ding-free after 18 months of me pounding them around many, many trails including Rogate and Kingley Vale downhills.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • simonp123
    simonp123 Posts: 490
    I'm 17stone too. I have no issues with unwanted skidding under braking and run a Kenda Nevegal on the fron and Schwalbe Nobby Nick on the rear. Yes on cornering I lose traction at speed, but then the tyre can only give so much friction and if you are on the heavy side that will happen at a lower speed than for a lighter rider.
    I have Hope Hoops (Pro2 hubs) and Stan's Flow rims. No issues with wheels going out of true or collapsing.