Getting back after crash.

Elushion
Elushion Posts: 115
edited April 2012 in Amateur race
Heres an interesting one for you all. Im a competitive cyclist, and have done pretty well. Up untill the end of last year when I got involved in a serious crash. It hasnt been my first crash in my 5 years of racing but since I just cant get my head into it again. My form, is great. However, I just cant put myself into the middle of, or the front of the bunch. The fear of a crash it to great and I spend my races sitting at the back, round every corner. Any advice in getting over this physcological block??
"It was eleven more than necessary."

-Jacques Anquetil (after winning a race by twelve
seconds."

Comments

• I'm in a similar situation. I had a crash at Hillingdon in August (caused by two other riders crashing right in front of me) - no broken bones, just deep cuts from a chainring. I had a go at getting 'back in the saddle' two or three weeks later at Hog Hill and found myself lurking at the back. I've raced the last two weekends at Hillingdon and Hog Hill and probably spent 90% of the time at the back - if I'm not there I'm moving up at the side or briefly sitting right at the front, but I'm almost never in the middle of the pack. I can't shake off the fear that there's going to be another crash right in front of me.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You could start by giving the short closed circuit banzai racing a miss and concentrate on road racing...? I know there are more things out there to 'kill' you like street furniture and vehicles but ... just a thought.
  • That's my plan - just thought I needed a few shorter races first to get back into it
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Good news it's only the beginning of the season. Try smaller groups at first like going out on a leasure ride or sportive and build it up from there. In a race try a breakaway and you might get a few with you to work together. If it doesn't work you can always sit at the back again! I crashed into a traffic island 3 weeks ago, kind of flew and skidded along more than a heavy impact, nothing serious like you just a lot or road rash on hip, elbows (infected left), knee and hand (left gloves in car!), and apart from cycling to and from work for the last week I haven't raced since. I'm hoping I'll have the guts to be comfortable in a bunch again soon. No one day races on for me this weekend but perhaps next weekend.
    Every winner has scars.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    JGSI wrote:
    You could start by giving the short closed circuit banzai racing a miss and concentrate on road racing...? I know there are more things out there to 'kill' you like street furniture and vehicles but ... just a thought.

I would second this, and maybe add that if you could find some road-based handicaps (like Surrey League Thursday evenings in summer) that would be even better. Their hare-and-hounds format encourages the small bunches to cooperate rather than everyone suicidally diving for gaps/position at every opportunity, also being on the road (in my experience) makes people ride a bit safer than closed circuits.

I'm sick of the downright clownish behaviour I've seen in early season 4th Cat crit events, so from here on in I'm gonna bide my time, do some handicaps and wait for most of the idiots to either give up or smash themselves/their bikes out of racing...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    I'd look at it as black n white as this

Its just part of racing and you will heal if it happened again (which it more than likely will do) so just get on with it.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Racing probably not for you then.

I crashed at hillingdon and ruined my bike, never a Second thought, was back the next week.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com