Newbie- advice please!

charlie farley
charlie farley Posts: 6
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Firstly, hello!

Just a bit of background... I used to be massively into cycling until I got my drivers license- then became lazy. Have had a lot of fun with cars for the last few years- and with baby number one just arrived, my caterham Pride & Joy is on the market. However, I still want fun and am really keen to get back into cycling. I have dug out my 12 year old raleigh Tigershark.... Very heavy & knackered- and had a few good fun rides recently. I am 6' tall- 14 1/2 stone

Budget = £1k. I live in rural Shropshire with plenty of decent woodland tracks and a few hills etc. I will probably be spending a fair bit of time on roads. I also really quite enjoy speed (for minimal effort!) I have a couple of good mates locally who are also getting back into cyclingf and have recently acquired decent bikes- 1x Giant Anthem x4, 1x Giant XTC3. Hopefully in time, the 3 of us will venture a bit further afield- we have Cannock Chase, The Shropshire Hills & wales all relatively close.

I have done a fair bit of research and a few test rides and narrowed it down to 2x hardtail bikes: both sourced from really helpful local shops in Shrewsbury:

Option 1 = 2011 Giant XTC1:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 875/45524/
Original RSP £1695- I have it down at £1k dead- apparently very good spec and feels fast when ridden

Option 2 = Cube LTD Race:
http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/cube- ... -2012/9162
£1039 + £130 of free gear thrown in.

Spec-wise, the Giant is clear winner. I found that both rode really well andI really, really like the visual look of the Cube (I know- very fickle!!!)- It is also different from my 2 cycling buddies and their Giants!

Question is therefore whether the Giant is simply a no-brainer spec for £ at that price?

Any pointers either way much appreciated!

Cheers

Charlie

Comments

• Anybody?

(sorry it's a bit rambling!)

CF
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Spec wise there is very little between them, of the two I'd go with the Cube, bu it's what works for you that counts, a lot of people will tell you you need more than 100mm of Fork for trail centres but my 100mm works just fine round Cannock for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spec is similar, Giant probably just shades it. If you've riddeen the Giant and like it, and have only looked at the Cube...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    So now 2 bits of contradictory advice. Glad to help.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Can you try them out? Or at least sit on them to get a feel for them?
    I did when I was looking. In the end I bought a Cube as it fitted me better.
    That said, my mate can't stand the geometry on Cubes and the skittish/light front-end.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Have ridden both- not much in it TBH preference wise... Really enjoyed both- though the Giant felt that little bit quicker

Heart says Cube... Head says Giant because it is such a good deal with XT and everything else...

Head vs Heart...
  • cooldad
    Heart. You've got to love your bike. Especially when it throws you off and causes pain.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    cooldad wrote:
    Heart. You've got to love your bike. Especially when it throws you off and causes pain.

+2
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    1mancity2 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

+2

ohh feck me +3 im filling up here

been test riding a few bikes and putting a deposit down on a new bike at weekend to replace my 2007 GT, im getting quite emotional about it all.
  • Making arrangements for Cube- and should collect next weekend.... rather exciting!