Running & Cycling... a good mix?

MancMissile
MancMissile Posts: 68
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
What are your thoughts on running and cycling, is it a good thing to be mixing the 2 or should I be focusing on one or the other.

The reason I ask is recently I've been doing a lot of cycling and completed the Wiggle Cheshire Cat 100 2 weeks ago. Following that I have signed up to ride the Wiggle Tour of the Peaks (100) on May 27th.

I'm also concidering entering the Bupa Manchester 10k on May 20th as I work for Bupa and a lot of work friends are taking part in the run.

My issue is the 10k run is exactly a week before the 100 mile ride, as far as training goes is it feasible to train for both?

My fitness levels are good, I can run 10k now but want to complete the race on the day in around 40-45 minutes so will need to work on my speed.

But I'll also need to keep up my cycling for the tour of the peaks as its a very hard 100 miles with lots of big hills.

Thoughts much appriciated...

Matt
Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If you like doing both, continue doing both.

If you spent all your time just doing one, you'd obviously improve in that area.

We do this for fun, not to compete professionally! Do both and enjoy them both.
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Its very good combinable.

You use different muscles for each sport. During training you wont need such long recovery for the other sport.
    You can switch 1day run 1day ride 1day rest or take a 2 day rest after 4 days of training.

And a week of rest after the 10k run should definitely be enough to recover for the ride and even do some last minute practise for it!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Yeah its good to mix the two -> cross discipline training is good for your body as it keeps everything in balance.If you are only cycling you can overdevelop certain areas, and under use other areas resulting in injury problems.

Obviously running isn't going to be that easy on your body -> unlike swimming for example -> but cross training is good!

And the time spent running is not irrelevant for cycling -> you get a cardio benefit, muscle conditioning etc.
  • Cool thanks for the feedback guys... yes I do enjoy both and would like to do both events so I've just signed up to do the 10k run as well.

Thanks for the training advice klep that sounds like a good plan, I'll try and run in the week after work and go for long rides at the weekends when time isn't an issue.
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    To be honest, if you're able to do a 10k run in 40 mins your fitness shouldn't really be in question. In fact if you're that fast I would have thought that a 10k run is something you are probably already doing regularly in training rather than having to build up to it.

I guess it really comes down to what you want to achieve. just finishing both? or a achieving a particular time for both? or a good time in one and just finishing the other?

From what you've said I doubt that not finishing them is an issue for you.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes running and cycling complement each other quite well.

You may struggle with getting your goal though just due to crowds on the day. If you enter a smaller 10k then you'll probably PB. I know the last time I ran Manchester it was impossible to get past people.
  • I do both and really enjoy it. In fact I'm training for the Leeds half marathon, and cycling 15 miles to work occasionally. Really enjoy it!
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
    Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Judging by how popular triathlon is I'm sure its fine.....in fact why not go for a swim too ;)
  • richh wrote:
    To be honest, if you're able to do a 10k run in 40 mins your fitness shouldn't really be in question. In fact if you're that fast I would have thought that a 10k run is something you are probably already doing regularly in training rather than having to build up to it.

I guess it really comes down to what you want to achieve. just finishing both? or a achieving a particular time for both? or a good time in one and just finishing the other?

From what you've said I doubt that not finishing them is an issue for you.

My goal is to finish in 40-45 minutes, I'm not at that speed yet but I am capable of running the distance. As for the 100 mile tour of the peaks I'll be happy just to finish that as its only my 2nd 100 miler and 2nd Sportive, and a very very hilly one by the look of it.
  • sagalout wrote:
    Judging by how popular triathlon is I'm sure its fine.....in fact why not go for a swim too ;)

Maybe next year :lol:
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    I enjoy doing both and as I work shifts, week of lates then week of earlies, I ride in on the earlies and run before work on the lates. To keep me motivated into both I entered some duathlons.
  • Kolraz
    Kolraz Posts: 47
    I've been doing both for a long while and I think the fitness from both compliment each other well. You have to be careful to stretch really well if you are doing both at a pretty high intensity though. Cycling shortens your hamstrings while running lengthens them, so make sure you stretch these out thoroughly.
  • Thanks for the advice
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    As above, both are not a problem, and a bit of cross training is a generally good idea.

From my own experience I would say that cycling fitness crosses over much better to running than the other way about. A couple of triathletes I've spoken to agreed with this, pointing out that running is a natural activity that our bodies have evolved to do whilst cycling is not. The thinking here is that cycling develops the aerobic fitness very well (and without the same impact issues) and this can transfer well to running with far less adaptation required. Of course if you focused soley on running, you'd get even better again at that, but I think you can achieve a lot of running gains through cycling.

I ran a few 1/2Ms before I cycled much and had a PB of 1:47. I ran one last year after three years of cycling and only 6 runs in the lead up to the 1/2M and astounded myself with a 1:34! I accept that I have been putting much more effort into the cycling recently than I ever did into running in the past, but I'm not sure my body would thank me for the equivalent effort in running anyway! I'm contemplating a full marathon this year on a similar basis, obviously with a bit more running in the preparation given the big leap from 1/2M to full M.

Lastly, as Rick pointed out in the 1st reply, if you enjoy both, do both - it is meant to be fun.
  • Hector10
    Hector10 Posts: 18
    When the weather got shit and I couldn't get my weekend rides in I started running in the evening after work as its all pavement and lit. I really got into it and got to the point of neglecting my riding. I did 2 X country/obstacle course 10km - well the first one at Sherwood Pines was over 11km. Got pretty respectable times in them both and last weekend did the Derby 10k in 51m. Now I know that's not fast but a year ago I was 19st and couldn't run a bath!
    I'm now mixing my cycling and running, cycling mainly at weekends but the odd 10 or 11 milers in 40 minutes in the evenings. I also do a 10k and a 6km or 7km running the evenings.

I am fitter now than I ever was from cycling alone, my breathing techniques has improved which I believe has come from running. I am doing the Wiggle 10k at Swadlincote on 5 May and then the Manchester BUPA 10k on 20th. Sometime in June we are doing a C2C or Way of the Roses.

Keep at it if it suits you. Works for me.
  • I cycle 3 x a week, swim x 2 and run x 2. You can fit it in, its all complementary and its great fun.

And I'm 48 years old, 6'7" and 17 stone. Now whats the question again?
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • i done the snowdon 10 race a couple of years ago . was running regulary but 4 months before got a foot injury and only trained on my bike . done the run in 1 hr 50 mins and finished about 300 out of 500 . must admit i suffered the next day but was surprised how the cycling training crossed over !