Carrera Kraken - what to look for?

muran
muran Posts: 105
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Following advice from my other thread on this forum I've been looking locally for a 2nd hand Carerra Kraken. I've come across a 2010 model which the seller says is in mint conditions and wants £175 for it. Does this sound a decent deal for last years model?

Anything I should be aware of with this one and can anyone tell me what I should be looking for if I go to view it? I've asked the seller for some history and some info on what kind of riding it has been used for, awaiting their response.

Thanks.

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Its a good bike but I picked up the 2011 model for £300 in halfords - one of their many 'sales'. Do you have a spec for it? And pretty much check for play in everything ... BB, headset etc, no cracks/dents in frame, wheels run true, fork works (hard to tell that with the cheapo suntours on them) You should be able to tell if there's something wrong!
  • muran
    Thanks for your reply.

The ad is a little vague actually, with the only info being that it is in mint condition. After enquiring further I was told it has a 22" frame and that it has mainly been used on the road with the only marks being where there chain is. Will probably view and see if it all looks ok. £300 sounds good for the 2011 model but as I'm just starting out and am on a budget I don't mind buying a good second hand one really.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    22 " is big. How tall are you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • muran
    cooldad wrote:
    6"5 !
  • Greer_
    muran wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    6"5 !

You win, was gonna point that out! But it seems like you need it! Check out gumtreee, ebay etc for other deals, but you need to see the bikes in person ... not much more advice I can give ya, but make sure it fits! :wink:
  • muran
    Thanks, from the link in your sig yours looks like the same one I'm looking at - maybe it is a 2011 rather than a 2010 then.
  • muran
    Bought the Kraken, seems decent for the money - hope it's not a lemon! Thanks for advice.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    tbh the kraken have been quite good over the last few years the newer ones are getting a bit worse on the spec thou nice to see more people with a kraken. :)
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Greer_
    jfry94 wrote:
    tbh the kraken have been quite good over the last few years the newer ones are getting a bit worse on the spec thou nice to see more people with a kraken. :)

You have anything in the your rides section? Wouldn't mind seeing it and the spec! :) but I agree about the spec getting worse, bought mine a month before the new ones were released ... glad I did.
  • muran
    Greer_ wrote:
    jfry94 wrote:

You have anything in the your rides section? Wouldn't mind seeing it and the spec! :) but I agree about the spec getting worse, bought mine a month before the new ones were released ... glad I did.

Mine is apparently a 2010 according to the seller and looks exactly like yours (minus the mods). Presume this is one of the better ones?
  • jfry94
    havent got round to putting in a link but i have
    2007 frame
    x7 shifters want to upgrade to x9
    x5 mech want x9 again
    truativ isoflow cranks getting some shimano deore hollowtech II cranks next month
    sr suntour xcr forks want some epicons or toras
    cheap and crappy heavy wheels wants some superstar customs
    superstar super grippa grips

overall the bike is pretty stock

should keep me saving for while
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Greer_
    Will be nice once its upgraded to that :D susperstar wheels are on my list - probably stans flow or crest. I can't recommend enough upgrading the fork!! You'll wonder what you were doing the last few years with the low end suntour!
  • jfry94
    would have done it sooner but had to buy tools for college and stuff like that. forks are the first thing on the upgrade list. :D
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Greer_
    jfry94 wrote:
    would have done it sooner but had to buy tools for college and stuff like that. forks are the first thing on the upgrade list. :D

Thats what I want to hear! (well see) :lol:
  • muran
    Ah! Just a few mods done and planned then! Yo went from a 2010 to a 2007?

I'll not be getting into it anything like to this extent, will just be happy to get the gears set up right so I can use the bike as is!