Another quality chain from Shimano

leaflite
leaflite Posts: 1,651
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I was cleaning my bike earlier today, when I noticed that the outer plates of 3 links in a row had snapped! This has happened last ride, as I hadnt noticed it when lubricating the chain before I went out. I was amazed that it hadnt totally snapped!
p1010326y.jpg
(apologies for the slightly blurry picture, but you get the idea)

The chain is a deore xt 10 speed item, which was only fitted late last year. According to my chain checker, it isnt even 0.75 worn! The faliure is nowhere near the joining pin, so the issue is not related to incorrect installation.

Ive had to buy a replacement already, as I need to use the bike, but is this chain faulty? Am I entitled to a replacement under warranty?

Thanks

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The chain isnt faulty. Its shimano. Hard to tell the difference most times though. Next time, avoid shimano.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    +1 KMC potato
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • leaflite
    The thing is though, I thought kmc made shimano chains?

The chain came free with the groupset and I thought I might as well use it-I wouldnt have bought one separately due to the numerous bad reviews. I just thought that one of the biggest companies in cycling would have resolved the issue!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    IMHO its the pin joining mechanism on the chains that is flawed, as it creates unnecessary stress on the links. It probably doesnt matter who makes them - its a flawed design and always has been since they first launched them.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    leaflite wrote:
    The thing is though, I thought kmc made shimano chains?
    What difference would that make? Even if they did make them they are different castings so not related to KMCs actual chains at all.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    leaflite wrote:
    I was cleaning my bike earlier today, when I noticed that the outer plates of 3 links in a row had snapped! This has happened last ride, as I hadnt noticed it when lubricating the chain before I went out. I was amazed that it hadnt totally snapped!
    p1010326y.jpg
    (apologies for the slightly blurry picture, but you get the idea)

The chain is a deore xt 10 speed item, which was only fitted late last year. According to my chain checker, it isnt even 0.75 worn! The faliure is nowhere near the joining pin, so the issue is not related to incorrect installation.

Ive had to buy a replacement already, as I need to use the bike, but is this chain faulty? Am I entitled to a replacement under warranty?

Thanks

Really strange that. The exact same thing has happened to my chain, which only got fitted in February. Same 10 speed xt chain as well.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd just put a 10 spd quick link in there.
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Yep, that's what I did.

Seems to be holding up fine.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • leaflite
    I'd just put a 10 spd quick link in there.

Its quite hard to tell from the picture, but 3 outer plates in a row have actually failed. A crack is starting to develop in another plate further down the chain too. If I took the failed links out and put a quick link in, the chain would be too short. Several quicklinks would work, but at £9.50 each, its cheaper to buy a new chain.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'd go for a new chain. It's just going to break more links.