any shop recommendations

richh
richh Posts: 187
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,
I've just moved house to a new area and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good LBS in the Stratford-upon -Avon/Banbury/Chipping Norton area? Not too worried about having a huge selection of products to buy, but rather somewhere that I can go for essentials and most importantly somewhere with a good workshop/mechanic.

Rich

Comments

• Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    I use Echelon at Pershore, the service is fantastic and they are very knowledgable and helpful. They stock good quaity kit, it's not a huge shop, but you can always get what you need.
    Ridley Orion
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    A bit far off mabey but Beeline Bikes in Oxford are great.
  • richh
    I'm in Shipston-on-Stour, hence the triangle of towns that I described, so I think that Pershore is going to be a bit out of the way, although it's interesting that they stock Boardman bikes even if they are just the higher end of the range. I thought that Halfords had the exclusive right to sell them in the UK (with some others selling internationally). I'm surprised that Boardman have taken so long to do things this way. Surely they are missing out of a great opportunity with the buyers who are willing to spend a few thousand pounds on a bike that don't want to get it built at Halfords. I guess at the £500-1500 mark that's less of an issue.

Beeline bikes might be an option though. I work near Didcot and travel up the A34 everyday so going into Oxford isn't ideal but it's certainly not impossible either.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    edited April 2012
    richh wrote:
    I'm in Shipston-on-Stour, hence the triangle of towns that I described, so I think that Pershore is going to be a bit out of the way, although it's interesting that they stock Boardman bikes even if they are just the higher end of the range. I thought that Halfords had the exclusive right to sell them in the UK (with some others selling internationally). I'm surprised that Boardman have taken so long to do things this way. Surely they are missing out of a great opportunity with the buyers who are willing to spend a few thousand pounds on a bike that don't want to get it built at Halfords. I guess at the £500-1500 mark that's less of an issue.

Beeline bikes might be an option though. I work near Didcot and travel up the A34 everyday so going into Oxford isn't ideal but it's certainly not impossible either.

Boardman have always kept the high end stuff away from Halfords so they were never missing out on any opportunities!

Beeline is a decent enough shop, they have two stores on opposite sides of the road -> one for the MTB/commuter/casual stuff and one for the roadie.

They have a big selection of Bikes from the lower end right up to a nice Specialized Tarmac SL 4 hanging off the wall.

i was a bit disappointed by the selection of clothing though.. as its pretty much just high end Castelli and a bit of Specialized in the road shop.

and i dropped my bike in the have a cable replaced on the Monday evening just before closing time -> i was told it would definitely be ready by 3pm the next day (bear in mind this is a <10min job)... and it wasn't ready when i dropped in at 5pm (because the guy hadn't put it down in the book..)

So i had to wait around for 10mins whilst they did it.

Not the end of the world but if you're travelling to them (and not just cycling out from the city centre) it could be frustrating if they forget something.
  • Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Echelon have stocked Boardman for quite a while, I was also surprised to see them too, although as you say, they are higher end and I understand it was Boardman's policy that these high end bikes are not sold through Halfords. It is alot closer to me, I live in one of the small villages outside Evesham, so I can even ride there. They have some very nice bikes, but they sell alot of their own brand, virtually every other cyclist you see in the area rides an Echelon own brand. It is definitely a shop full of upmarket gear and bikes, well worth a visit if you can. They also do a great fitting service.
    Ridley Orion
  • turboslave
    turboslave Posts: 178
    +1 for echelon, they all ride and race, if they don't stock it they will get it in for you. Always up for a deal. The high end Boardman bikes are not available from Halfords.
  • Gusbang
    Gusbang Posts: 14
    +2 for echelon, off there tomorrow to look at a new bike, bought my first from there not very long ago (one of their own bikes :-) )
  • turboslave
    Gusbang, have a good day tomorrow, though I should warn you they have lots of new kit in, like the Capo clothing line and Enve wheels, a new bike eh, now that's gonna hurt.
  • Gusbang
    Gusbang Posts: 14
    Turboslave, thanks I am looking forward to it, could get expensive :-) just started riding properly this year so decided a new bike is in order.
  • richh
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Has anyone had experience with "The Cycle Studio" in Stratford?
  • turboslave
    Yes cycle studio is ok, depends what you are after, friendly bunch stock more mainstream products more mountain than road bikes in stock but worth a look.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    For down-to-earth maintenance and fixing jobs, Terrys Cycles in Yate, Bristol. Limited selection of Bikes and gear. Not big, but quite competent LBS workshop.
    Another good place is 'Bike' in Clifton (just near the Triangle) in Bristol. Here they have a very good workshop, good selection of bikes and gear as well.

Please, please.... Do not go to Black Boy Cycles, at the top of Blackboy Hill in Clifton, Bristol.
    Absolutely pants by way of customer service and dodgy advice that I find is always tilted towards maximizing sales.
    In my opinion of course.
  • turboslave
    Tonye n

Nice but I don't think you read the op post, looking for a shop nr Stratford upon Avon.

Atb
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    turboslave wrote:
    Tonye n

Nice but I don't think you read the op post, looking for a shop nr Stratford upon Avon.

Atb
    Oh?... You're right. My bad. I just saw ....Avon area and jumped in :)
  • richh
    Thanks anyway Tony :) you can be assured that I won't be going to Black Boy Cycles anytime soon!

Went to Beeline bikes at the weekend by the way. Seemed really good. OK I only popped in to get some bar tape whilst I was visiting Oxford for the day, but the whole set up seemed good. It's just a shame that getting in and out of Oxford in the car is such a headache during the week.
  • turboslave
    richr

If your gonig into oxford why not use the park & ride, saves on parking charges, quick and efficient service, even better park and ride your bike in, less hassle than taking the car.

tonye n, no worries easy mistake to make.

atb