Unidentified Frame, going 10 speed, see page 2

AngusChild
AngusChild Posts: 60
edited August 2012 in Your mountain bikes
This is my custom built bike, any ideas what the frame is?
The entire thing is made from individually purchased parts, and the frame was an ebay buy. I have no idea what it is, who makes it or where it was made :?
I do know however, that it is excellent for jumping, natural trails, and my regular 5ft drop. I am considering getting a new fork to replace the very leaky Fox F100, and I think I will go longer, something like 140mm.
What new fork should I choose? The bike has a killer head angle, way too steep. I think Rock Shox Revalation 140mm RLT 2011, because I'm on a budget, or maybee look for a second hand fox float. Any other ideas?

7042580303_a2f6b27f69_c.jpg

7042573713_b436f8e998_c.jpg

7042586581_060ee7ecbb_c.jpg

6896498460_918597f336_c.jpg

Frame: Unkown - 4.5 inch travel, Fox Float RL 2005, put on by me
Forks: 2007 Fox F100 rl
Bars: Funn Full On 710mm
Stem: Funn Rippa 45mm
Headset: Semi Integrated
Grips: Nukeproof
Bar Ends: Nukeproof

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid FR5
Front Caliper: Tektro io
Front disc: Shimano RT62 203mm
Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid FR5
Rear Caliper: Tektro io
Rear Disc: Shimano RT62 160mm
Hoses: Shimano

Shifters: Shimano Deore
Cables: Shimano
Front Mech: Shimano Alivio
Rear Mech: Shimano Alivio
Chain Device: -

Seat: Charge Spoon ti
Seat Post: Brand X inline
Seat Post Clamp: Unknown

Cranks: Truvativ Isoflow
Chainring(s): 44,32,22
Chain: Shimano Deore
Cassette: Deore 11-34
Pedals: Shimano M530 trail
Bottom Bracket: Shimano

Front Wheel: Shimano MT15
Rim: Mt15
Spokes: Bladed
Hub: MT15
Tube: Unknown
Tire: Unknown

Back Wheel: Shimano MT15
Rim: Mt15
Spokes: Bladed
Hub: MT15
Tube: Unknown
Tire: Unknown

Weight: 14kg

Other info:

Comments

• DomN86
    DomN86 Posts: 112
    That’s a really nice bike.

Sorry no idea on frame.
    GIANT YUKON FX2 - http://goo.gl/xtIfv.
  • DomN86
    How much was the frame?

can I have the eBay link for the frame?
  • The frame was an auction, and I got it for the minimum price, £50
    The shock I'm using on it is actually 5mm to long, so that isn't quite right, but it rides great.
    I will try and find the link but it was an auction so won't be much help :)
  • Nice bike, it looks like a Giant NRS frame, look under the BB - there should be a serial numer stamped.
    Google may give you a result.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nice bike, it looks like a Giant NRS frame, look under the BB - there should be a serial numer stamped.
    Google may give you a result.
    nothing like a NRS there is no chainstay pivot for a start.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    More to the point, where are the pics taken? If you live there, I hate you :)
  • AngusChild
    edited April 2012
    I'm on holiday on the isle of Lewis, which I thought would be good for mountain biking, but there are virtually no paths to ride, however today took the bike with my brother to the next island down
    , Harris. The we did there was stunning. The last 3km was pure descending rock garden, the bike was great.
  • DomN86
    AngusChild wrote:
    The frame was an auction, and I got it for the minimum price, £50
    The shock I'm using on it is actually 5mm to long, so that isn't quite right, but it rides great.
    I will try and find the link but it was an auction so won't be much help :)

£50 :shock: jealous; I looked around for ages for a FS frame like this, gave up in the end, and went and brought a pre-made FS. oh well. Nice one.
  • It was sheer luck that I found it, it randomly appeared in the recomendations, with not long to go and no bidders. I just put on the minimum and got it. As for the shock I payed a mere £33 for that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd lay odds it's a Merida frame, a lot of the detail are similar to a Carrera Banshee (but it's not that), seat stay pivot is less common than chain stay and makes it in reality a swing arm in geometry terms.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    AngusChild wrote:
    I'm on holiday on the isle of Lewis, which I thought would be good for mountain biking, but there are virtually no paths to ride, however today took the bike with my brother to the next island down
    , Harris. The we did there was stunning. The last 3pm was pure descending rock garden, the bike was great.

Looks nice. First pic does it for me, would love to live somewhere like that.
  • Rains a lot though, I took these pictures in break between snow showers. However it is very beautiful
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    AngusChild wrote:
    Rains a lot though, I took these pictures in break between snow showers. However it is very beautiful

We got married at Kinlochmoidart House which is up that way, its fantastic up there.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • I think I've decided on a new fork for bike, X-Fusion Velvet in either 120 or 130. Anyone on here got a pair they can review for me?
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Nice, built to be ridden not polished :)

The revs are a real nice fork if you're still undecided.
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    Nice bike; however, if you're unsure about the frame and as you say, it looks pretty steep at the headtube, I'd be very wary about sticking a longer travel fork upfront, as you don't know the maximum recommended for that frame. It looks a little like a Giant Anthem in shape, but the pivot system isn't right.
  • If I do go longer it will only be 120/30 I think.
  • thinking of a Longer stem, to go with new bars. currently looking at the 70mm version of this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41179, but I'm not entirely sure if Longer is the way.
    My riding styles are pretty much everything on one bike:
    AM
    Trail
    XC
    Jumps
    Downhill

size wise the frame is a M and I'm about 6ft tall
  • the_moodster
    the_moodster Posts: 273
    when you fitted the rear shock did you replace an existing one like for like in terms of measurements. From the angle of the rocker link I'd suggest it might want a shorter rear shock.

I'm going to hazard a guess that that's a 200x57 shock, assuming its a 2:1 leverage ratio, that's giving you 4.5in travel. Dropping that to a 190x50 will give you 100mm travel and drop the tail, which should slacken the head angle to something a little more comfortable and level out the rocker arm.

edit: just re-read the thread an noticed you've said the shock is too long, so hopefully I'm right!
  • AngusChild
    edited August 2012
    Ok, so it's been a while, and after numerous crashes including an over the bars front flip yesterday I have decided to upgrade form the terrible 3x9 to a 1x10!
    Cost £413.91 - went high level, along with a few other upgrades, the list is:

1 SRAM PG1070 10 Speed MTB Cassette - 11-36

1 SRAM X5 2x10sp Trigger Shifter - RH Rear - Black

1 Shimano M810 Saint Bottom Bracket - 68/73mm Shell

1 MRP Mini G2 Steel Chain Guide - ISCG 05 - 32-36t - White

1 SRAM X0 10 Speed Rear Mech - Short Cage - Gold

1 Answer Pro Taper 780 DH Riser Bar 2012 - White/Copper 1" Rise 780mm 31.8mm

1 Brand-X Outer Ring Bolts Narrow 7075 Alloy - Gold x 5

1 Hope Single/DH 36t Chain Ring - 104mm - Each - Black

1 SRAM PC1091R 10 Speed Hollow Pin Chain - Each - 114 Links - Silver

1 Shimano XT 2005 (2nd hand) Crank set

I will put pictures up when all fitted in September.
    Anyone had any ideas on what the frame is?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Nice bike - especially for 50 quid for the frame. I agree it looks like an anthem but different seat stays plus I suspect its older than the anthem that looks like it would be.

Definitely worth trying the serial number to get a lead.

I dont think I would go much more than 120mm on the fork though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Good find for fifty quid, looks nice.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    How is going from 3x9 to 1x10 going to prevent you going over the bars? Or crashing in any way? :lol:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The outer ring is terrible, and when pushed slips. I think with a single ring and a chain device this will be resolved... hopefully.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if that is what you want to do forget the X0 rear mech.

why hollow pin chain?

X5 trigger with a X0 rear why? go X7 or X9 for both but as you crash a lot i would go X5 for both.

but personally sort out your chain ring(s) and may be go 1X9 to start with and i would also spend on the correct size shock first as that will help the handling.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • X5 was the only 10 speed shifter in stock on CRC, and seeing as you don't have an 18th Birthday every day I thought I would treat myself to the X0.