Carrera Vengeance Ltd for £250 Second Hand?

raduk
raduk Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi, just hoping for some advice. Looking to get a decent MTB but on a relatively low student budget so willing to go second hand. Have seen a second hand but almost new-looking Carrera Vengeance Limited Ed in a high street pawn shop but it's priced at £250 which to me seems a little on the cheeky side as this is close to what they retailed at when they were last available just over a year ago. I have tried to make an offer on two occasions but they wouldn't budge - annoying!

Should I just cave and buy it before someone else does or can anyone recommend I look elsewhere for a new/used in this price range. I'd like a decent fork (preferably with lockout) and 24+ speed but will compromise on price.

Cheers.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For £250 you should be able to get a wide range of decent used hardtails, some much better than a vengeance, have you looked on ebay and gumtree? How are your maintenance skills? The more you are confident doing, the better a bargain you can pick up!
    Halfords have had the latest Vulcan on offer for £259 recently.....probably again soon.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • raduk
    raduk Posts: 3
    Hi Simon, that's great advice and definitely what I was hoping to hear. I'll probably hold my breath for now and keep looking. Would only really consider Halfords if they had some decent offers on which they really don't currently. Thanks for the Gumtree tip too - could be a winner!

My build skills are alright, but what better way to learn. A friend suggested I look at building my own from parts, is this a good idea?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Will generally cost more to build up than buy. Only really worth it if you want something specific, or have time to trawl for compatible bargain parts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'd say your better getting a decent 2nd hand bike around that price. I wouldn't look at building your own bike for that price