Avid Elixir 5 totally ineffective - adjustment?

*Tom*
*Tom* Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,

I got a new Kona Cadabra, and when checking it over before first ride noticed that the rear brake lever would touch the bar without too much pressure. Contact point was already adjusted to the max. With the brake lever held all the way to the bar, the rear wheel would lock and would drag along the carpet with no weight on the bike.

Initially upon riding the bike, the rear brake would noticeably slow the bike, but that was it. Almost totally useless. After an hour riding, the rear brake seemed to do nothing at all. I could hold it on and ride normally.

How do I go about adjusting this? The brakes are Avid Elixir 5s. I can find plenty of information on recentering the calliper, but nothing on moving the pads closer in so they bite sooner.

Apologies for my ignorance, and thank you in advance for the help!

Comments

• *Tom*
    *Tom* Posts: 3
    It initially seemed that the brake would need bleeding. Likely? I don't have the kit to do it, and bought it online (Chain Reaction Cycles) so sincerely hope that isn't the case.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    check there are no brake fluid leaks. I had a hope mono mini that had to go back two days after it was bought.

If no leaks sound like it needs bleeding. Contact CRC to inform them and ask what to do next, they may suggest returning them for a new set.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails