Continental Mountain King 2 2.2"

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Hi guys,

Just bought some new Continental Mountain King 2, 2.2" tyres. My current ones were standard decathlon 2.0" crap tread.

Anyway, on the halfords website it says that these are tubeless, yet it said nothing in the shop nor on the label on the tyre, nor on the tyre itself.

Can I use inner tubes with these? I'm not interested in running tubeless tyres.

Thanks

Comments

• heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Halfords don't stock tubeless tyres. Can order, just don't stock.

Don't believe their site.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    I've got 2.2's on mine with tubes and no issues.
  • Thanks. Didn't think they were tubeless, just made the mistake of reading the halfords website after I bought them.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Even if they are tubeless, they can still be ran with tubes - just makes for a heavy wheelset as tubeless tyres are generally heavier
  • If they were Tubeless, they would have Tubeless written on the side, if they were Tubeless Ready / SuperSport's, they could be run as tubeless (although I wouldn't as they don't seal very well) however you are using them with tubes so it doesn't really matter....

Most Tubeless tires are a higher TPI (Threads Per Inch) and this is a good thing... If they have a higher TPI, the tire threads (under a microscope) are smaller and closer together therefore less likely to suffer from punctures and typically a better rubber compound. 60 TPI is normally Non Tubeless and 120 TPI is typically tubeless... If they were 60 TPI and typically non tubeless or tubeless ready, they are more likely to leak air and suffer more from punctures (in my experience).
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    Just removed one of these that failed after approx 300 miles of ghetto tubeless :lol:

So i dont think they are tubeless at all!

Wire bead is seperating from the sidewall :shock:
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    S-M wrote:
    Just removed one of these that failed after approx 300 miles of ghetto tubeless :lol:

So i dont think they are tubeless at all!

Wire bead is seperating from the sidewall :shock:
    I don't think that there are any wired tubeless tyres.
    I had a complete pigging nightmare trying to inflate a wired tyre using a stans tubeless kit and an air compressor. In the end I gave up and declared it nigh on impossible.
  • These tyres are only 2.0" across when inflated, same as the ones i replaced. I purchased new inner tubes too for the wider tyre (size 2.10" to 2.50"). Does this mean that my inner tubes are now too big for this tyre or not?
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    I have now done 4 ghetto conversions on the Conti mk2 tyre and they all inflated almost instantly to be honest!

I had trouble with some other brand old tyres i had kicking about, but when i did the Contis, i used brand new tyres, maybe this helps ?

I still have one rear wheel on my 98 FSR that is "ghetto" the rest are all now running tubes, the Boardman is running tubes with sealant inside as a test to see how well that works.

I will say something though, DAMMN its messy when a tubeless conversion does not fix a puncture and you have to fit an inner tube to get you home.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    These tyres are only 2.0" across when inflated, same as the ones i replaced. I purchased new inner tubes too for the wider tyre (size 2.10" to 2.50"). Does this mean that my inner tubes are now too big for this tyre or not?
    makes no difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks. I guess i didn't need to bother buying new inner tubes then, still at least I have a spare to carry now.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    These tyres are only 2.0" across when inflated, same as the ones i replaced. I purchased new inner tubes too for the wider tyre (size 2.10" to 2.50"). Does this mean that my inner tubes are now too big for this tyre or not?
    makes no difference.

Sorry for being thick, but if it makes no difference then why do they bother selling different sized inner tubes? You'd think they would at least move the boundary point, as most MTB tyres are between 2" and 2.5" why not make the size band for that then there would only be one option.