older and wiser has lead to alittle fearfactor

A planty
A planty Posts: 47
edited April 2012 in MTB general
Having just got back into riding after years off, have noticed that on the trails ill hit them as hard as i can but when faced with a series of double jumps that i'd have shredded in my early years, i'm shitting bricks and have had a fair few slams lol really need to grow some balls lol, please tell me this is just a natural process when theres a morgage and family to provide for!!!!!!!

Comments

• al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    The young are convinced they are invincible.
    With age comes wisdom.
    Unless your an idiot in which case you will not realise that if you crash and badly injure yourself it could effect the rest of your life and happiness..Your experience is nothing unusual. :(
    The other side of the coin is wrapping yourself in cotton wool. Being unhappy with risk at a certain age is common and then the person calling someone the idiot is the fool as they cannot accept the idiots acceptance of risk.
    The fool is the one that does not attempt to understand the idiot.
    The idiot can be content in the realisation that the fool is the one not living life to the full. (not fool)
    (i'm not calling you an idiot or a fool, just trying to be amusing in my strange way.. I'm also much more carefull now.)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I used to race motorcycles. Now I pootle through the forest on a bicycle. Disgraceful.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    As long as the way you ride still gives you the thrills and fun that you want then we're the problem. It's all about what it feels to you in that time and place.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I go our to have fun and work hard. Scaring myself silly or hurting myself is not what I want. somedays I'll take more risk than others, but at the time it doesn't feel like I'm risking anything.

Saying that, I often fall off.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Took a few older mates biking over the years.........the ones that haven't rode for years, they like to tell you how good they where when they where kids how they used to be able manual this jump that etc..

Without exception they've all come to realise that they have much smaller testis than they thought they had.

IMO

Fear is the biggest obstacle to overcome when it comes to mountain biking.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    It takes time to regain your confidence and rediscover your skills after years out. Keep going out but rethink your riding. You probably need to give yourself that time to feel stronger mentally. If you want to hit the same terrain you did when you were younger you need to be able to fully commit to the ride. It’s like a switch. Enjoy the discovery.

p.s. It is natural too but you can overcome it.
    Many happy trails!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    al2098 wrote:
    The young are convinced they are invincible.
    With age comes wisdom.
    Unless your an idiot in which case you will not realise that if you crash and badly injure yourself it could effect the rest of your life and happiness..
    You could also say that with age and experience comes great skill, which minimises the risks - so you just have to keep pushing things further and further.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    You could also say that with age and experience comes great skill, which minimises the risks - so you just have to keep pushing things further and further.

Very true,

When I was younger I could jump 20ft doubles, 360, 180, no handers, but since I've been seriously mtbing (about 3yrs) I've only just started getting the jumping to a decent level and the tricks are still a way off.

Keep at it and it will come but start small and build up your confidence and skill.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    The older I get, the faster I was.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Foesrider
    Foesrider Posts: 48
    I lost all my mojo when i had the snip !!! Nothing at all to do with being 36 :D

DO NOT HAVE IT DONE, I REPEAT DO NOT HAVE IT DONE

A 1ft drop looks like the end of the earth.
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Foesrider wrote:
    I lost all my mojo when i had the snip !!! Nothing at all to do with being 36 :D

DO NOT HAVE IT DONE, I REPEAT DO NOT HAVE IT DONE

A 1ft drop looks like the end of the earth.

Is that why im trying to go bigger and faster, 40 yrs old not had snip and trying to ride like an 18yr old!!!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I'm more willing to look at some things and say hmm no way of backing off that.

I still leave a healthy dust cloud coming off the hills etc, but less likely to do something for ego sake.
  • Foesrider
    Foesrider Posts: 48
    I still ride hard and fast but, just lost that edge :x
    My new bike is encouraging me to do more daft things, i've even been looking to buy a full face lid after 15 years without one.
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY