Aching hands

2»

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    deadkenny wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    And using one finger (no pun intended...) is not always best either, as two can pull harder or split the load.
    Argument is that single finger braking is more powerful. Again, I don't know if this is true. Since setting it up that way though I've found it more natural and I get far less "death grip" effect. That said it could be the bigger rotors I've got too.
    It's quite common to use the middle finger, for single-finger braking as well.
    Some MX riders swear it reduces arm pump. I tried it out of curiosity and couldn't get on with it at all, it just felt horribly clumsy.

I'm fascinated by the lowering of th ewrist though, as I said, the "old" way that was taught for aeons, was to keep your wrist and forearm in line, like when you're throwing a good punch, so that you're not over-stressing your wrist.
    I'd be interested to learn what the merits of the lowered wrist idea are.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Impression I got was more to do with a technique thing for doing jumps, drops, manuals, steeps etc. Basically better for where your position will be for that stuff and apparently much easier to control the front end up and over things or something (and less likely for the front to sink in and go endo).

But I don't know. I've only got the advice second hand. Will be seeing Tony in a few months and see what it's all about.

The traditional way never seemed right for me though as to get wrist and forearm in line I need to be too far forwards and I don't like that for what I tend to ride. With position shifted back more often I still end up with them in-line. Not for climbs though where I may be more forwards, but climbs aren't what I ride for.

As said though, down to what works for each individual I guess.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use the middle finger for braking and forearms/wrist straight, so it must be the right way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I'm a middle finger braker, wrists very slighty bent down from forearm angle. I tried that Tony Doyle brake set up and it nearly crippled me after a long ride. It's all suck it and see.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    On long descents I alternate fingers, middle and index, to give them a rest. But I find that I habitually use the index finger on my right hand, and middle of my left.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    On long descents I alternate fingers, middle and index, to give them a rest. But I find that I habitually use the index finger on my right hand, and middle of my left.
    I'll use the middle finger of your left hand in a minute.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I'll use the middle finger of your left hand in a minute.

nose need pickin'?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • echowitch
    echowitch Posts: 196
    Stem was fitted last night and it made an immediate improvement. Its pulled me in to a more upright seated position, taking the weight off of my hands. My brake levers do need adjusting now as they are too high, but Im planning on replacing them (they are Avid BB5's atm) for some hydraulic brakes which will put the brake levers further outwards and left me use one finger to brake with. Currently I have to use two fingers as there's insufficient room to brake with one finger.

Im toying with the idea of getting a large handlebar as they are cheap on Chainreaction right now, and it will allow me more room to move my levers/shifters in.

Edit - Toyed with and bought the below.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=72041
  • echowitch
    echowitch Posts: 196
    I did a 24 mile round trip today to Swinley today. Home to the train, train to Swinley, then 10+ miles round Swinley (my first time) then the reverse to get home again. No problems to speak of so the stem has helped. I will have to wait until Tuesday for the new handlebars. :)