Seeking guidance on upgrading front mech

highlander456
highlander456 Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Greetings from an Englishman living and trail riding in Colombia, South America.

I've got a 2011 Trek 8000 which came with an SLX front mech. It has seen better days so it's time to replace and upgrade. It's hard to get decent components here that don't cost twice what they would in the UK so ordering online and having it shipped out here is the only way. So I'm after a little guidance please.

My seat post is 31.6mm, the bottom bottom bracket is press-fit and the chainset is XT M770 22-32-44.

The specs for the XT M781 10 Speed Triple Front Mech say that it is for "seat tube sizes 34.9 and 31.8mm" and "68 and 73 mm bottom bracket shells with a 50 mm chain line". I assume it must fit as it's the only 2011 XT triple front mech I can find but I'm by no means certain. Can anyone confirm that this front mech will my frame?

Finally, and I know it's a subjective question, but is the XTR M981 front mech worth the extra 50% over XT?

Many thanks!

David

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Your mech is busted on a bike that new? Steer clear of the X80 models as they are 10 spd and yours is nine. Spend more and they will on average last longer, not work better.
  • Hey Chunkers,

It's certainly not busted but it is pretty messed up. Riding in the Andes can be pretty harsh sometimes :)

It has 10 speed XT throughout (apart from the front mech)

Cheers
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't think the XT 770 crank you quote is 10 speed
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In answer to your other question, I don't think the XTR is worth it, unless you are a serious weight weenie.
    Especially if conditions are rough. Go for toughness, not lightweight.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • @Chunkers - indeed you are right, it's the FC-M770 I have, which is 10 speed.

@cooldad - thanks, that's kind of what i'm thinking but i haven't bought new components for several years so i wasn't sure.