Keep or Sell???

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited April 2012 in MTB general
You may remember me from a few years ago, when I was a regular member.

I had a spine injury which caused me to have an operation in Jan 10. I had hoped my recovery would be quicker.

Unfortunately, over two years on I still unable to ride my bike - which is very upsetting.

I spent a long time replacing and tweaking the bike, but then had to stop.

I am now in a conundrum. My bike has not been used for over 2 years now, and is worth a lot of money. It is sat waiting for me for when I am eventually better, but should I sell it now instead of leaving it to wait?

What is the best way to get a rough value for the bike, to help me in making this decision?

Here is the latest photo of it, taken back in August 2009 (around the last time it was ridden).
IMG_0138.jpg

The spec is as follows (Your MTB Post - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12609926):
Frame: Specialized Stumpjumper HT M5 Aluminium
Forks: Fox F90 RL
Bars: Ritchey WCS Carbon Rizer
Stem: Thomson Elite X4 90mm 0 degree (Pictures show Race Face Dues XC (110mm)
Headset: Cane Creek S2
Grips: ODI Rogue Lock On

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy 5 SL
Front Caliper : Avid Juicy SL
Front disc: Hope SP XC3 160mm
Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy 5 SL
Rear Caliper: Avid Juicy 5 SL
Rear Disc: Hope SP XC3 140mm
Hoses: Avid Juicy

Shifters: SRAM X-0 (Matchmaker Adaptors)
Cables: Gore Ride-On Low Friction Sealed
Front Mech: Shimano XTR
Rear Mech: SRAM X-0

Seat: Charge Spoon Titanium & Leather
Seat Post: Cane Creek Thudbuster LT - also a Thomson set back seat post
Seat Post Clamp: Hope QR

Cranks: Shimano XTR
Chainring(s): Shimano XTR
Chain: SRAM PC-991 Hollowpin
Cassette: Shimano XT
Pedals: Wellgo MG-1
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR

Front Wheel: Hope SPXC3
Rim: DT Swiss XR 4.20
Spokes: DT Swiss Super Competition Triple Butted
Hub: Hope Pro III (SPXC3)
Tube: Bontrager Race X-Lite
Tire: Bontrager Mud-X 2.0 TLR
Skewer: Hope QR

Back Wheel: Hope SPXC3
Rim: DT Swiss XR 4.20
Spokes: DT Swiss Super Competition Triple Butted
Hub: Hope Pro III (SPXC3)
Tube: Bontrager Race X-Lite
Tire: Bontrager Mud-X 2.0 TLR
Skewer: Hope QR

Weight: approx 10.5 Kg (23 lb)

So if you were in my position - what would you do? Bare in mind it will be a good 6 months before I am able to ride the bike again, it at all :(

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Keep it.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Keep it. It will not get anything like as much cash as it cost you to build, and you will have to do it all again in 6 months when you can ride again. Looks like an awesome ride!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sell it. It's worth about a tenner, but as I am charitable, and in view of your injury, I'll offer you £20 posted.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gcwebbyuk
    cooldad wrote:
    Sell it. It's worth about a tenner, but as I am charitable, and in view of your injury, I'll offer you £20 posted.

Sounds like a deal - will have to look out for a box...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get well soon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Welcome back! Keep it!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you're going to sell it, split it up and sell all the bits individually - you'll get alot more money back that way
  • It's not going to depreciate that much over 6 months.
    Ask the question again in October when you have a better idea about your health.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • keep it

you will miss it when you are better and hope your riding again asap
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That is still a great ride, just keep it unless you really want a new ride.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Thanks for all the responses :)

I think you are right, keeping it is probably the wisest decision.

I am pretty concerned though that the 6 months might become years. The operation was supposed to have me back to "normal" again after 6 weeks...

My latest MRI scans show that I have a herniated disc in my lower back now, as well as my neck being fixed in kyphosis (loss of natural curvature of the spine due to the replacement discs). Cycling will be a good exercise to do if I can get out of pain, but the muscles in my upper back/neck are in a permanent state of stretch, and those in my chest and front of the neck, are the opposite... Can I get a replacement spine anywhere? :P
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    A mate bought something fairly similar for £800. I think it was 2010. I'd keep it
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    If you sell it, it's kind of saying you've given up hope of ever getting back on it again.
    So i'd keep it, if nothing else just to polish whilst thinking, i'm going to get back on you one day :)

Lovely bike btw.
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    just out of interest, say you do get back on the bike, wouldnt a full suspension be a better idea anyway?

If you ahve a bad back and it's never going to be 100%, nailing it on the trails all the time on a hardtail doesn't make much sense. I love the bike, i bet it flys around trails. But maybe you would be better considering something with a bit of give if you do manage to start riding again?
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • gcwebbyuk
    Dirtrider wrote:
    just out of interest, say you do get back on the bike, wouldnt a full suspension be a better idea anyway?

If you ahve a bad back and it's never going to be 100%, nailing it on the trails all the time on a hardtail doesn't make much sense. I love the bike, i bet it flys around trails. But maybe you would be better considering something with a bit of give if you do manage to start riding again?

This has been my thoughts for quite some time now. The suspension seat post takes quite a lot of the bumps out of the trail.

I won't be riding hard once back on the bike, I will mainly be sticking to roads, and Sustrans trails (designed for road / hybrid bikes). I would probably swap the tyres to semi-slicks for some time to get my fitness back.
  • gcwebbyuk
    DodgeT wrote:
    If you sell it, it's kind of saying you've given up hope of ever getting back on it again.
    So i'd keep it, if nothing else just to polish whilst thinking, i'm going to get back on you one day :)

Lovely bike btw.

This is exactly what my wife has been saying to me. She is worried if I sell it, I will be giving up :(

As for polishing it - I would love to be able to, but my spine is so buggered, even that hurts. I can pat the saddle though and tell the bike I will be back at some point :)
  • gcwebbyuk
    diy wrote:
    A mate bought something fairly similar for £800. I think it was 2010. I'd keep it

For that price, I would definitely keep it - I hate to think how much money I have invested in it over the years...
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    keep it itll be a big moral boost to have something to look foward to i know when i did my knee ligaments that having my bike to look forward to gave me something to be happy about when time's got hard. get well soon
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • buzz1
    buzz1 Posts: 374
    My mate fell down a 8 foot walkway on a container ship at work and was out for over a year, when he got back on the bike (HT) he really struggled, so he invested in a FS (problem solved).
    My advise - sell the frame and buy a FS frame then transfer all the quality parts you have to that.
  • Ex0dUs
    Ex0dUs Posts: 7
    Id keep it no doubt.

Its always been there with you through everything, and you've always looked at it and known one day you will be back on it, no other bike can hold that value for you, its irreplaceable.
  • matt581
    matt581 Posts: 219
    buzz1 wrote:
    My mate fell down a 8 foot walkway on a container ship at work and was out for over a year, when he got back on the bike (HT) he really struggled, so he invested in a FS (problem solved).
    My advise - sell the frame and buy a FS frame then transfer all the quality parts you have to that.

This isn't a bad shout providing you have the dosh. It will give you something to focus on while you recover and a bit of a well earnt treat for yourself for being out for so long. As well as a bit of motivation to get fit again.

Hope you get well soon mate.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Thanks peeps.

A full fs has always been a thought in my mind. At the moment though, just getting through the day is difficult, so any spannering is going to be months away too.

I will get there...