Bealach Beag Training Advice please

Cool4catz
Cool4catz Posts: 76
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, I've signed up to do the Bealach Beag in May, a 43 mile 1000 metre climb event which includes a 620m straight climb over 6 miles. I'm pushing my distance, speed and hill training each week but have no comprehension what a climb like this would be like. Has anyone done it and can offer advice on training? Is there anything similiar by way of climbs in the Ayrshire area?

Comments

• pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I've driven up there in a camper van. The weather was terrible, even in June, so that may be the main challenge. It's not straight though, it's hairpins.
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    Hi there, good choice of sportive - hard work but a good event! I've done the Bealach Beag twice and the Bealach Mor twice (plus once on my own in summer). Here are my thoughts on the event/route/training, if they help.

The best bit of advice I ever got and always stress to others is that the Bealach climb itself is not the hardest part of the ride. It is a tough climb, but you know it's coming and are ready(ish) for it. The stretch round the Applecross peninsula after the climb/descent is harder. It contains multiple shorter but steep climbs and as your legs can be a bit heavy from the big climb, they can really take their toll. So, don't go eyeballs out up the Bealach and save some for the 2nd half of the ride.

The ride starts with a a short flat section out of Shieldaig then a steady drag uphill for about 4.5 miles or so, then back down for another 4.5 miles to the bottom of the Bealach. You therefore don't have a long way to go to warm up properly before the big climb, so worth warming up a bit before you set off. The Bealach climb starts very gently, and you don't really climb much in the 1st mile, then the gradient rises as you go up (ave. % for each mile is about 2.3%, 4.7%, 5.9%, 7.5%, 12%, 6.5%). Basically, miles 4 and 5 are the nasty ones! You'll come round a right hand bend after about 3 miles or so and see the rest of the climb head straight upwards to the hairpin bends near the top - it's quite a daunting site but very impressive looking. Once you clear the bends you are almost home and dry - there's still a bit of climb left but it levels off a bit after the bends.

On the descent be careful on some of the corners are there are a few reverse-camber slopes and if (?) it's windy be extra careful as it can be gusty. After that there are a few miles after Applecross of flatter/undulating road then it starts to get hilly/lumpy (as described above). Near the end you can see Shieldaig round the bend / across the bay a good few miles before you get there, but there are still a few sharp hills before you actually get there.

As for training, I'm not too familiar with Ayrshire but there's not much around that can match the Bealach for overall climbing - for that you're best to find the longest hill you can (whatever gradient) and grind up it in a bigger gear than you normally would to build climbing strength/endurance. No matter what gears you have you'll still be grinding to some extent by the top of the Bealach!

For the shorter (but steep) Applecross peninsula climbs hills you could try multiple climbs up/down the 1st mile or so of the Haylie Brae in Largs, as it's pretty steep and being a bit longer than most of the shorter climbs would be good practice. This will help ge the legs used to a hard climb, then a short rest, then repeat over and over.... :-).

As the post above says, weather is the big unknown. I've done it in everything from sweat pouring off me in blazing sunshine, to rain bouncing 2ft off the ground, and also in hail showers, so be prepared!

Most of all - have fun and good luck!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    ^^^spot on with this advice. I did have a very hot sunny day for this last Easter, just whilst on holiday, not as part of a sportive event. I found the hardest part of the actual climb to be the long straight ramp section between the sets of hairpin bends. But as DGS says above, the best advice is that the rest of the coast road back is undulating and energy sapping as well.
  • Cool4catz
    Hi dgstewart, wow thanks for that. Best description of the route anywhere. I'm currently out three times a week, a 24 mile hilly route at an average 15mph, a 20 mile hilly route slower pace but with a 300m gain and at weekends a 45 mile route with a 400m gain. Each week I build the distances and the hills.
    I know the hill at Largs, last went up it in a Mini Clubman some years ago, the car barely made it! I will add it to my 'to do' but I think I'm a couple of weeks off doing that. Good point about the rest of the course as you still have another 400m to climb and I guess you could get carried away and burn out on the Bealach climb.
    There are a few of us doing it so I'll share your advice which will be very well received, thanks again.
    It looks a fabulous challenge and glad I picked it, just hope I can complete it without the need of an air ambulance!!
  • StorckSpeed
    StorckSpeed Posts: 291
    Great post by dgsteart.
    I've done the Bealach Beag a couple of times now, the first time there were hailstones at the top of the hill and I could hardly see anything on the descent. Last year the weather fairies looked favourably on us all and we had a perfect sunny day.
    My advice is don't go flat out on the first 5 miles, before your reach Beallach pass, as some will do. save your energy for the big climb.
    During and after the big climb you will be tired and low in energy so don't forget the energy gels and bars, you'll need them. The last mile of the big climb, where it goes down to 6.5% is possibly the easiest uphill mile you will ever do. After the steeper sections you feel like your going downhill, weird.
    The short climbs after Applecross look fairly innocent but don't try to power up them in a big gear (as I did), this will exhaust you and you will struggle on the last couple of hills, which seem to get longer and longer.
    This sportive although only 45 miles long (which is why many first timers are drawn to it) is much, much harder than many longer ones eg. the Etape Caledonia (81 miles), be prepared and treat it like it's a 100 mile sportive and you'll be ok.
    There isn't another hill like this in the UK. The only training you can do is Hill repeats in big gears on the toughest hill in your area.
    Remember it's only 3-4hrs of hell followed by absolute euphoria, enjoy it.....
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • dgstewart
    No problem, hope you enjoy it and let us know how you get on.

StorckSpeed also makes a good point about the first few miles, especially the uphill bit. 1 or 2 minutes "lost" (i.e. taken easy) here will more than repay themselves later in the ride, especially on your first attempt when you don't know exactly what's coming and when.

Again, StorckSpeed is right about its relative toughness. In terms of height climbed per mile distance it's pretty severe. Although it is half the length of the bigger Bealach Mor, it contains 2/3 of the climbing.
  • StorckSpeed
    Training - This Sportive is coming up on the 22nd April.
    This could be good training for the Beallach Beag - Much further but not much more climbing.

http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/Buc ... tive/2763/
  • dgstewart
    Also, if after the Bealach Beag you feel the need for more punishment (sorry fun!) my club is running a sportive from Alford, Aberdeenshire (http://www.deeside.org/cyclefest.html).

It's a relatively low key affair (relfected in the cost) and this is only the 2nd time it has been run. I did the 100 mile route last year and it was nothing short of brutal (maybe not selling this well :) ), largely due to the wind on the day. The 100km route would also be a good ride if you didn't fancy the 100 mile. Both routes offer some very good scenery.

It's also run on a non-profit basis and excess funds get used for some 3rd world projects that some people in the club are involved with.
  • StorckSpeed
    dgstewart - so your a DTCC member then? Never mind ! :-)
    Ythan CC members have been talking about the cyclefest ride from Alford, I wasn't sure as I want to do a good time at the Cairngorms this year and they seemed close together.
    If I decide to go I'm the chubby bloke on the Storck - say hello.
  • Cool4catz
    My first Sportive but I can't imagine a more stunning and awe inspiring event. As it was the same weekend as the Caledonian Etap it was a quieter affair but then we had fabulous weather unlike the bravehearts on the Sunday. great organisation and the 'hill' was an experience of a lifetime, as it nearly killed me going up, and nearly came off the road on way down :oops: . Thanks for all the advice everyone
  • dgstewart
    Well done and glad you enjoyed it! I was one of the lucky ones on the Etape on Sunday - a bit windy to say the least. Still I managed it in 3:51 for 41st place so was well pleased with that, but was utterly destroyed by the end of it!

I'm also thinking about the Cairngorm 100, but haven't decided yet. Had a cold leading up the Etape and yesterday's efforts have taken their toll today - never have I seen so much snot, my head hurts and now some bugger has stolen my taste buds! Need to wait and see how this pans out...
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Great to hear some feedback about such a smashing route, and such a beautiful part of the world. Hope to get there again myself before long; until then green with envy. All the best, Ron.
  • Cool4catz
    Hi, just completed the Beag for the second time and the advice above is still the best guide to the event. Second time around was even harder but did knock an hour off last years time. Was like a burst ball at the end. Compared to the Etape, this was a tougher event.. Not closed road but hill was and thereafter very quiet. Well done to Hands On for another great event. If you've not done the Beag, or the Mor for that matter your life is incomplete, you just don't know it yet.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Now you've done it, are there any similar hills in Ayrshire? I doubt it. How about the Nic o' the Balloch? Or Dalry Moor road?
  • Cool4catz
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Now you've done it, are there any similar hills in Ayrshire? I doubt it. How about the Nic o' the Balloch? Or Dalry Moor road?

Hiya, there are a few great hills around Ayrshire and the Nic o the Balloch is a fabulous ride. Early August is the Graeme Obree Sportive which will cover the Nic and some great roads. Nothing like Applecross. The thing that got me was the Bealach na Ba is 620m but that's only a third of the climb on the short route. I've got a lot of work to do for next year!