Coast to Coast Sportive

sfichele
sfichele Posts: 605
I've always fancied being able to tackle the coast-to-coast ride in one day. Looks like there is an organised sportive this year. Is anyone doing this, or has any had any experience of this sportive before?

http://www.opencycling.com/index.php

Comments

• zoglug
    zoglug Posts: 212
    The Coast to Coast is a ride id love to do, just not sure i can justify the £60 entry fee!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • sfichele
    Yeah it is a bit steep, but to be fair the route is spread over quite a distance for the organisers
  • young dog
    young dog Posts: 64
    We are riding coast to coast to coast in 24 hours. Join us for a one way ride if you like?
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    sfichele wrote:
    I've always fancied being able to tackle the coast-to-coast ride in one day. Looks like there is an organised sportive this year. Is anyone doing this, or has any had any experience of this sportive before?

http://www.opencycling.com/index.php

Thanks for the link 8)
    Had a look earlier and am seriously tempted by this one. Route looks great and there are loads entered already, so I reckon it would be a great weekend away.
    I just need to factor in the logistics of it all first, and work out total costs.
  • sfichele
    young dog wrote:
    We are riding coast to coast to coast in 24 hours. Join us for a one way ride if you like?

24 hours? was hoping to do it in around 12 hours ;) When are you guys thinking of going and is it a one way trip?
    You're not getting the train back or anything? The logistics of this are a problem. With the sportive you can get a lift back. I have some other friends that are looking to do the sportive so will probably opt for that (I dont mind the cost - though it is slightly high). My main concern though is the distance. I've done 100 miles so this should be alright, would be great to say you've done it in one day, though.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    sfichele wrote:
    young dog wrote:

24 hours? was hoping to do it in around 12 hours ;) When are you guys thinking of going and is it a one way trip?
    You're not getting the train back or anything? The logistics of this are a problem. With the sportive you can get a lift back. I have some other friends that are looking to do the sportive so will probably opt for that (I dont mind the cost - though it is slightly high). My main concern though is the distance. I've done 100 miles so this should be alright, would be great to say you've done it in one day, though.

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12846110
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    sfichele wrote:
    young dog wrote:

Assume you've noticed he said coast to coast to coast. That is, there and back in the 24 hours.

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • young dog
    You got it Rick. There are 2 guys from Garstang riding with us..
  • rickwiggans
    Justin and Michael by any chance? I'm tied up that weekend, otherwise I'd have tagged along. Doing your Le Terrier, though, with a couple of guys from Ilkley CC

• sfichele
    Assume you've noticed he said coast to coast to coast. That is, there and back in the 24 hours.

Nope missed that on first reading! Only realised from the linked topic. Sounds like a harsh undertaking
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    Although this is advertised as a coast to coast route, it is not the “iconic route cycled by hundreds of people each year”. Unless the organisers are timing the start with the back wheel in the Irish Sea and finishing with the front wheel in the North Sea, then the coast to coast route is not complete.

The correct one starts by the stainless steel C2C sculpture with the back wheel dipped in the harbour water. To start a Seascale is like starting the End 2 End at Penzance!
  • young dog
    Might disagree with you there. Who actually says that is the correct one? Coast to coast is exactly what it says. We are looking to ride a coast to coast in France next year. It looks like if you stick a monument up, then it's official..
    Surely it's better to have the freedom to pick your own?
    Lands Ends to John O Groats is surely the best (most official) Coast to Coast in the UK?
  • rickwiggans
    Stedman wrote:
    Although this is advertised as a coast to coast route, it is not the “iconic route cycled by hundreds of people each year”. Unless the organisers are timing the start with the back wheel in the Irish Sea and finishing with the front wheel in the North Sea, then the coast to coast route is not complete.

The correct one starts by the stainless steel C2C sculpture with the back wheel dipped in the harbour water. To start a Seascale is like starting the End 2 End at Penzance!

err, I've done the "official" C2C, the Transpennine Trail, the Hadrians Wall ride , a Morecambe to Saltburn, a Hest Bank to Whitby . In each case my wheels were wet with salty water at both ends. Are you suggesting only one of those "counts"? Tell that to my legs!

• Stedman
    edited April 2012
    young dog wrote:
    Might disagree with you there. Who actually says that is the correct one? Coast to coast is exactly what it says. We are looking to ride a coast to coast in France next year. It looks like if you stick a monument up, then it's official..
    Surely it's better to have the freedom to pick your own?
    Lands Ends to John O Groats is surely the best (most official) Coast to Coast in the UK?

I agree with your point regarding the official route, however it is the organisers who have described their event as the “iconic route cycled by hundreds of people each year” and if you do a goggle search it tends to be the Sustran route by far which is favoured by the majority of those who take on this challenge.

The organisers also go on and state “What better way to tick off this iconic cycle than by doing it in one day”.
    Admittedly Sustran have number of deviations, however if you look at the C2C route on http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/the-route/ and the one advertised for this event, the two are absolutely miles apart.
  • Stedman
    Stedman wrote:

err, I've done the "official" C2C, the Transpennine Trail, the Hadrians Wall ride , a Morecambe to Saltburn, a Hest Bank to Whitby . In each case my wheels were wet with salty water at both ends. Are you suggesting only one of those "counts"? Tell that to my legs!

As far as I am concerned, if you got your wheels wet at both sides, that counts!
  • rickwiggans
    Jolly good!

• young dog
    Aye aye skipper... We are taking an Aga to brew up on the road. And it's a coal one! Gas lights for on the way back and riding fixed wheel. Mine will be fixed to the rider in front. Oh the joys of cycling!
  • If anyone is planning on doing this, thought that you should know that there will be NO energy products available at the feedstations. After reading the info about the feedstations I dropped them an email and got a reply saying that there will be cakes and baguettes, and water to fill up with, but no engery mix to go into it, and no gels etc to take with you.

Considering how much it costs to enter this (and how hard the event is) I was a little disappointed that there wouldn't even be any mix to add to the water.

I have only done a few sportives in the past, and at a minimum they all had energy mix to add to water, is it normal to only be supplied cakes at the feed stations or would there normally be some energy bars and mix there?
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    For infor, We did a modified route of the Way of the Roses Coast to Coast last weekend. 150 miles from Morecambe to Bridlington. It took 10 1/2 hours riding, 13 1/2 hours actual. (We had two very long cafe stops)

A great day out despite the weather!
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • young dog
    4 of us rode C3 route yesterday - Morecambe, Scarborough, Morecambe 270 miles, 23h 20min. Tough route. :D
  • zoglug wrote:
    The Coast to Coast is a ride id love to do, just not sure i can justify the £60 entry fee!

Entries from the 2013 event open 1st October - £50 until 1st March.
    Quotes from 2012 riders:
    The organisation, support, info available was absolutely first class. Never cycled that distance & was feeling a tad apprehensive leading up to the day. On completion felt very proud of mine & everyone elses achievements. Really enjoyed the company & banter going on throughout the day. Everyone I saw had a smile on their face. Can't wait for the next time we do it! Worth every penny!
    Thank you to ALL the team who made the event so fabulous over the weekend. The friendly nature of all the team, the excellent food and the great route all comes highly recommended! I do not agree that the entry cost was too high-the food alone at the feed stations was manna from heaven and the logistics all went so well that I would willingly support another of your events!
    Overall the entire experience was brilliant and I certainly want to try it again. I found the event was incredibly good value for money given what was included and the quality of the support provided.
    it's not a cheap day out, but I can see where the money went so can't complain about value for mone.

Event featured in Cycling Plus - out now!
  • Thinking of entering this on Monday, any experiences from anyone greatly received?

Does it fill up quick of do I have time to think a bit more.

Did the etape du dales in 7 40 this year, the thought of another 40 miles on top fills me with dread.. :o

Any other major climbs after Hardnott and Wyrnose?

Rode the Etape with a compact and 27 rear cog, changed bike now, only got a 25 on the back, think I might need a 27 or maybe a 29?

Would not want to walk an inch of it but if anyone thinks I am dipping any bit of my bike in the sea at either end they have another thing coming....

Would be just my luck there will be a strong easterly wind on the day...

Update, Mon 1st Oct

Just entered, struck while the iron is hot, just need to get training now..
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    You might end up walking on Hardknott, but no shame in that!

I've done C2C twice now - last year Maryport to Blackhall Colliery (120 miles) and this year The Way of the Roses (170 miles), both non-stop (7 hours for the first, about 12 for the second).

This one looks good though - would be well up for trying it just for the company of other riders on the same route as me!