Sore Bum = Padded Shorts

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited May 2012 in Road beginners
Just got my first road bike and finding the seat a little on the uncomfortable side after about 15miles so tried it with some padded bib shorts which have improved the comfort a bit. Are padded shorts better than padded underwear that I've seen? Is there nay difference in those that are from China, etc for maybe £10 compared to those at £25+ on various UK internet cycle stores?
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Good quality shorts are definitely worth spending a little money on. I use Nalini shorts from Planet X.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Bit of both!
    Keep building the mileage and duration of rides and your bum will become more conditioned to your seat. It does take a while just like getting sore legs after a ride.
    I have some Biemme long bibs (ebay) and DHB bibshorts (wiggle) and both have good pads fitted. Well they suit me ok
  • mattmaximus
    mattmaximus Posts: 132
    Chapeau for managing 15 miles commando! You (or at least certain parts of you :mrgreen: ) are made of considerably sterner stuff than I.

There are only three points of contact on a bike, IMHO they are worthy of serious consideration and I hold in high value both my backside and my ability to get on a saddle - nay walk - the next day.

It's very difficult to enjoy riding if you're uncomfortable and this is definitely (again IMO) an area to look at how much you can spend rather than how little you can get away with. For me IIRC that meant about £70 and a pair of santini bib shorts which I love. It's possible I could have had the same comfort for half that, but equally - perhaps more - possible that I would have been in pain and ended up buying the more expensive shorts anyway.

Good luck and enjoy the bike.
  • mattmaximus
    mattmaximus Posts: 132
    :oops: Oops just read the OP properly and see you already have bibs. I also found applying (assos) chamois cream helps with comfort. About a tenner and a pot lasts a long time.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I would say that if you bum was sore after 15 miles then this is either because your saddle isnt right for you or your bum hasnt spent much time cycling. I get the padded thing on longer runs but anybody should be able to do 15 without them and now even notice IMO. With the right saddle, I happily do 50 without pads and not the slightest discomfort - although I admit that I am the exception here, for some reason.
  • robbnel
    robbnel Posts: 1
    When first starting to ride I found that yes padding of some form was a good idea but you must wean yourself off them slowly as they do add to the weight slightly.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    robbnel wrote:
    When first starting to ride I found that yes padding of some form was a good idea but you must wean yourself off them slowly as they do add to the weight slightly.

Padded shorts add to the weight? :shock: I 'spect that's why all pro riders have to have them, to get over the UCI minimum weight limit.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    robbnel wrote:
    Quality bullsh1t for a first post
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    apreading wrote:
    I would say that if you bum was sore after 15 miles then this is either because your saddle isnt right for you or your bum hasnt spent much time cycling. I get the padded thing on longer runs but anybody should be able to do 15 without them and now even notice IMO. With the right saddle, I happily do 50 without pads and not the slightest discomfort - although I admit that I am the exception here, for some reason.

Good answer.

If you, me, and my girlfriend could work out what the reason is that we can do 50 miles without discomfort, we could make a fortune :D

Seriously, why are you the exception?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • thegodplato
    I think its a combination of both the saddle and how often you cycle. When I decided to get a road bike ( around Christmas time ) I started doing stints on my wife's 12 year old knackered MTB and found that initially the seat was uncomfortable until I had been out a few times and got upto 23miles on it - yes I know thats half what you're talking about. The newly bought road bike is a Bianchi Nirone Xenon which I got last THursday. On Friday To test to see the difference between the Bianchi and the old MTB I did the same 10m route in 36mins ( commando ) compared to a best of 42 on the MTb which I thought was Ok. The seat didn't bother me. On Saturday I did a 16m run and was struggling a bit in commando form, but maybe that was because I had only ridden the day before and prior to that 6 to 8 weeks since last rode! And then on Sunday it was failry warm so I rode using teh padded bib shorts which helped me get a bit further. Maybe its the saddle? I still think its because I'm not used to it.
    Perhaps get some padded undies and padded shorts for double protection!!!

I have got a voucher for Hargroves Cycles so might get the padded undies or the padded shorts, not sure what would be the most effective.

Has anyone experience of the Progel ones? How do these vary to the `pad` ones?

Just about to head off on a 40m run so will report back how sore my backside is today!!

• NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    If your after cheap padded shorts, try sportsdirect. I picked up some muddyfox ones for £5.99 and touchwood have been fine. Let me just say since getting them cycling has become much more enjoyable, it wasnt so much as a sore bum but sore something else I suffered with.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    NITR8s wrote:
    If your after cheap padded shorts, try sportsdirect. I picked up some muddyfox ones for £5.99 and touchwood have been fine. Let me just say since getting them cycling has become much more enjoyable, it wasnt so much as a sore bum but sore something else I suffered with.
    Crazy, I never thought to look there for cycling stuff despite the fact that the close-fitting hi-vis running top I ride in most often came from there. :oops:

Some really cheap stuff. Clearly it won't last forever but it'll do me...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • andrewjoseph
    don't try two pairs of shorts at the same time. Extra padding is not always the answer. saddle shape more than padding works for both my wife and myself. I use a brooks on the road and had one on my mtb, but that's gone too far out of shape so I'm trying a selle italia gel. A firm saddle.

tried my wife's old deep padded saddle and that caused lots of problems.
    --
  • thegodplato
    Well I did a 36 mile run ( which on the return loop knackered me beacuse it was mainly a strong head wind and I ain't in tip top shape yet! ). Don't laugh but I tried the padded bib shorts under my cycling winter leggings and more or less managed the whole ride without too much discomfort. I'm thinking its more a case of your bottom becoming accustomed to the saddle, but I might be wrong.

• andrewjoseph
    it's usually getting used to it. 'toughening up' we call it. this is not quite so true of leather saddles like brooks, which do actually conform to your shape.... eventually.
    --
  • robbnel wrote:

Ignore this bollox
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    robbnel wrote:

Further to this brilliant bit of advise, shave your head, eyebrows and any other body hair completely as your hair adds to weight and you will go faster. Infact once you have toughened up enough, dont wear any clothes cos this add weight as well.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    NITR8s wrote:
    robbnel wrote:

Further to this brilliant bit of advise, shave your head, eyebrows and any other body hair completely as your hair adds to weight and you will go faster. Infact once you have toughened up enough, dont wear any clothes cos this add weight as well.

And dont forget to cut your toenails... :wink:
  • thegodplato
    think thats taking the going commando thing a bit too far!!!!

• izthewiz
    izthewiz Posts: 154
    NITR8s wrote:
    robbnel wrote:

And dont forget to cut your toenails...

And have a number two..... :shock:
    The only bad view from the saddle is of the point of impact rising rapidly to meet you.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    I would say get the best shorts you can afford , I use DHB for the commute and am now a full convert to assos shorts which I got for approx £100 off wiggle when on offer.
    I never believed they could be that much better , shorts are shorts , but after a 180km ride at the weekend the area suffering was legs and the seat area was fine.
    My brother has used them for quite a while and the longevity seems good , buy cheap buy twice!!
    I would also recommend castelli and gore as good shorts but as for most of us it comes down to budget , the above shorts were an 'extravagant' purchase for me but I will buy them again when required.
    Good luck with the quest we are all different and it is only with time you discover your tolerance's.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !