spongy rear brake lever

A planty
A planty Posts: 47
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
had a leak on my brake lever where the hose joins the nut, still being under warrenty i took it back to the shop i brought it from, guy said he replaced olive, i asked if he'd had to bleed it then "yep " he replied. but my brake is spongy. if i was to bang my front on sharp id be over the front end but i can grab my rear as hard as i like and it wont even skid on loose ground ???? WTF is that all about ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Most likely still needs to bed in.

Wht happens to the isc when you pull the lever?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • A planty
    nicklouse wrote:
    Most likely still needs to bed in.

Wht happens to the isc when you pull the lever?
    Im sorry to ask but what does this mean " isc" and i havent had the pads replaced as they are fine. Im just confused as to why it work brilliant prior to the leak and is now hardly a brake lol
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    did he replace the pads? if you had a leak, they might of soaked up oil/fluid
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    isc is a typo. 2+2 will give you a disc. After all you are talking about disc brakes
  • A planty
    isc is a typo. 2+2 will give you a disc. After all you are talking about disc brakes
    haha head in the clouds, as far as i know the disc still runs true, i'll check in the morning
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    the disk may still be true, but if the pads are not putting pressure on it, it won't slow you down. Also, you may have a sticky piston, one pad is moving to the disk, the other is not, so extra movement is required to push pad and rotor onto the now stationary pad. this results in loss of power.

check to see that both pads are moving equally and that the rotor is not being displaced.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Does the lever pull to the bars or does it feel normal just you have no braking effort, the former sounds like a bleed issue, the latter contaminated pads.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.