Lakeland loop

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
Anybody here doing it? Its a top class event and features Hardknott Pass :twisted:

I will be participating if the weather forecast looks okay. Been down to it the last 2 years and its a hard route for only 70 miles. The last two winters up here in Scotland were grim and I had little actual road miles before the event and basically grovelled up hardknott and really suffered in comparison to the Fred a month later.

Much better prepared this year and did a whopping 130mile plus ride the other day and felt good the whole route and have been over the 100mile mark many times over the last few weeks. I bet I still suffer on Hardknott though - its such a hard climb no matter what fitness you have.
Brian B.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    When is it? Might give it a go on the day if the weather is ok.
  • DavidBut
    DavidBut Posts: 13
    It's April 15. I entered last year and have been lurking here ever since as it's my first sportive so I've been looking for training and nutrition tips. This board has been very useful, so thanks!

Less than two weeks to go and I think I've done enough training, I live in Leicestershire where there aren't many hills so I had a few days in the Lakes last week practising climbing, think I'll walk up Hardknott.

David
  • fridgeboy
    fridgeboy Posts: 37
    Can't wait to see that bl**dy phone box again - the one at the bottom of Hardknott. Lower weight (-4 kgs), and more training (ave 200 per week) in the legs this year - so hopefully I won't fall off on the steep hair-pins in the top section this year. If the weather's even half decent its a lovely ride, with great organisation and well-stocked food stops - home made malt loaf to die for. One of my favourite rides.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I'm in too 8)

Did the Kendal Sportive few weeks back and that was a fantastic day in the hot sun :D

I know this is going to be tough ride for me, but really looking forward to it.
  • I'm in! I've done it the last 2 years in glorious sunshine - I don't think we're going to be quite so lucky this year. But...regardless, it's an excellent route and very well organised.

I have yet to make it up Hardnott without walking - I fell off the 1st year into a pillow of moss! I'm 5kg lighter this year...so here's hoping. I'll be happy with 5hrs.
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I'll just be happy to get round :lol:
  • waynobfc
    waynobfc Posts: 32
    Yup I'm in! Love the lakes, my favourite part of the world & spending a day cycling there is my idea of bliss! Using this & wrynose or bust as the last bits of my Fred whitton training
    I Dont Ride Hills, I Climb Mountains!

2010 Scott S40
    2011 Wilier Izoard XP
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    I might do this again. Done it the last 2 years. It have a bit of love hate with it! First ride was my worst day on a bike, bonking just before hardnott. Last year I made it up hardknott for the first time, only to puncture on the way down after my rims overheated!

Think I'll see what the weather looks like. As said above, it's very tough for only 70 odd miles
  • DavidBut
    DavidBut Posts: 13
    How efficient is the registration process? I'm aiming to start cycling about 9 o'clock, so what time should I arrive at the New Dungeon Ghyll?
  • waynobfc
    waynobfc Posts: 32
    DavidBut wrote:
    How efficient is the registration process? I'm aiming to start cycling about 9 o'clock, so what time should I arrive at the New Dungeon Ghyll?

I've done an Epic Events Ride before & the organisation was pretty good, depending how long you faff for i would allow an additional 10 mins for reg etc... Although i would hazard that 9am will be a pretty popular start time
    I Dont Ride Hills, I Climb Mountains!

2010 Scott S40
    2011 Wilier Izoard XP