CTC or British Cycling?

ChrisLS
ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
...we all ride with insurance? BC and CTC are the two organisations to join to get the cover to ride. So which one are you in, or would consider joining if you aren't already a member of either?
...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Went BC Last year as I got a good offer on racing cover (that was never used) but going CTC this year so I'm covered on fnrttc rides.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Which would you recommend for commuters/tourers/sportivers?
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    I'm in BC having left CTC just over a year ago. CTC has no local group near where I live, I didn't rate their magazine, I'm really disappointed they no longer seem to know what the letters C, T and C stand for, especially the T and I definitely wasn't impressed with their recent price-hike.

BC have just started offering an online mapping tool with a choice of either Google or OS 1:50,000 (1:25,000 available as a premium extra). It looks like it will be very useful when they fix a problem with the format of .gpx track files created using it. I'm hopeful they will develop their on-line presence even further as their membership increases, especially as until now, their 'groups' feature on the website has been rather horrible and clunky, and so under-used and neglected.

Having said that, if someone simply offered the insurance alone at a bit less cost than membership of either CTC or BC I'd probably go for that instead. I'm a member of my local cycling club, this forum here, and an online forum of hub gear fanatics so I don't feel any need to belong to yet another club along with the insurance I need.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I went for the BC gold membership option, partly because it gives you personal injury insurance. I've got a 25 mile round trip commute on a busy route, have no parents or significant other, and am a bit paranoid about what would happen financially if I had an accident. May be covered with my pension on this too, but I'd rather be over-covered than struggling. The weekly email bulletin is pretty good too.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I'm with CTC, agree the magazine is not up to much but the price and the legal assistance etc is pretty good. Thought I'd better get insurance based on the amount of time I spend in London playing in the traffic. 20 miles each way.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BC for me, silver membership with an underused racing licence. Membership is compulsory for my club and I need it for the racing, insurance is a bonus which I hope I'll never need.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Useful post this. Only recently I've been thinking about the need for personal liability insurance for when on the bike. Any other worthwhile options out there?
  • Useful post this. Only recently I've been thinking about the need for personal liability insurance for when on the bike. Any other worthwhile options out there?
    Check your household contents insurance - my Hiscox policy says:

"Your Personal Liability
    We will cover you against any claim for damage which you may legally have to pay for any accident that happens during the Period of Insurance and which causes bodily injury or disease or loss of or damage to property"

and that applies worldwide.

Having said that, I'm with BC, cos I got a good offer and I need it to join club rides.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Thanks to this post just started looking into this, now i have looked at both sites and to be honest BC sells itself better than CTC, but still unsure which one to use, for just normal commuting etc.. i feel the £24 ride option on BC would be better, or am i missing something else between the lines. any help would be great
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • corshamjim
    corshamjim Posts: 234
    Between the lines you might read a difference in their stance on the wearing of helmets and compulsion, but to be honest I don't see as big a difference there as some people seem to! It's not too difficult to find a statement from each organisation on the subject if it bothers you.
  • I think LCC (for those in and around London) also provide similar perks: http://lcc.org.uk/pages/insurance-provider
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I think what's on offer is similar in both.

I was with CTC for a year (mainly for the insurance). I didn't really see the point of their emails and magazine. Seems an organisation routed in a very different century.

BC appears a bit more modern.

I realise that's probably very superficial. The couple of clubs I've looked at joining insist on BC (again, probably for the insurance).

In between, I paid for specific cycling insurance, which was about the same price. I can see it becoming more mainstream over the next few years and the price dropping.
    exercise.png
  • well just signed up for BC so we will see hopefully i wont need to call them, buts its piece of mind for wifey.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I thought I would ask the question.

I am a member of the CTC and BC. I joined the CTC on the advice of a work collegue when I started to commute by bike. I joined BC when I qualified as a cycling coach and ride leader. I have attended training courses with both organisations. BC is slick and corporate, the CTC seems more home grown and not at all corporate. Both organisations are excellent. I have had cause to use the CTC's legal department when I was badly injured in an accident and they fought my case and won, so I feel loyal to them for that. My head say British Cycling, my heart says CTC. You pay your money and take your choice. The bottom line is - don't ride uninsured...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...