New chain & Cassette to stop slipping?

richmcf
richmcf Posts: 55
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
hi

very new to cycling so bear with me!

my chain feels like it slipping a little inbetween gears and my local bike shop reccomended a new chain & cassette, i have no idea how much this should cost? is £50 about right all in? (shimano parts)

Also, could anything else be causing my chain to slip? i.e could i have a new chain and cassette and then end up forking out for something else aswell??

Thanks a bunch!!

Rich

Comments

• rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    Basicly as a chain wears, the joints between each link get worn away, and the pins of the joints get looser which makes the chain elongate - often called chain strech. If the chain is not promply chainged early on then the chain links end up being farther apart than the gap between the teeth on your cogs. This will wear out your cassette and chain-rings in time. (But chain rings last ATLOT longer due to the load being spread over 50 odd teeth not 11 to 25 ish).

When this gets bad enough the teeth will look like hooks and a bit pointed and the chain will 'slip' as you call it. Sounds like a new cassette and chain is indeed in order. Cassettes are from £35 upwards to the sky, and chains from £15 upwards. So £50 to supply and fit sounds fair to me.
  • richmcf
    excellent

Thanks for your quick and helpful reply!!!

Rich
  • richmcf
    Hanger also snapped last night too! :cry:
  • If your hanger was out of alignment, the chain and cassette could be OK, have you dropped the bike on the derailleur side at all?
  • richmcf
    no not that i remember! it did need a new cahin & casette anyway which was due to be done on thursday i guess il just have to have a new hanger at the same time now! Although they may have to order it in meaning i wont get my bike back till wednesday due to the bank holidays! was really looking forward to egtting out on it this weekend too!
  • I don't want to muddy the waters too much :D but in your OP you say you're very new to cycling. How many miles have you done with that chain and cassette, have you kept it clean and lubed? This can have a dramatic effect on chain wear, I've done about 5000k on my current chain/cassette combo without any slipping and I'm not the best at chain maintenance :D
    A bent hanger could cause the sort of symptoms you describe.
  • richmcf
    you are correct, im very new to cycling! However i have a used bike! :D

when its fixed im going to ask in the shop what i need to do keep the chain ect maintained and running well!
  • However i have a used bike!
    Aha!
    when its fixed im going to ask in the shop what i need to do keep the chain ect maintained and running well!

That's a minefield you're entering :D:D
  • richmcf
    [quote="That's a minefield you're entering :D:D[/quote]

tell me about it! welcome to the world of cycling, it was much more simple when i was 10 and jumped on my BMX! :lol: