Road Cycling in Hong Kong

miggillicuddy
miggillicuddy Posts: 554
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Right, I just got my self a rather tasty Scott Foil 20 but it's looking very likely that I'll be living in Hong Kong from july for 6 months.

I'll be based in the new territories which are hilly but from what I remember, the roads are pretty serious with large amounts of traffic...

Regrettably I can't see me doing much cycling out there, but can anyone provide me with any information regarding good places to ride which might tempt me to take the foil with me?

:)

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    where is keith oates when you need him? :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • SimonPieman
    SimonPieman Posts: 206
    Lived in the New Territories for a while, there is some superb cycling there.........you have to ride Tai Mo shan, up then down.....killer!!
    1990 - Trek 950
    1991 - Orbit America Multiflo
    1992 - Orbit STOLEN!
    1992 - Roberts DOGS BOLX
    1994 - Roberts STOLEN!
    2003 - Specialized Epic
    2006 - Specialized Allez Elite
  • Schobiedoo
    Schobiedoo Posts: 121
    It seems that for flat rides & TTs the popular ride is from HK Disney out to the far end of the airport and back (on the quiet service road alongside the highway), there's also a climb over Lantau island which is a restricted road so not many cars.

If you want to ride anywhere else then it's going to be a very early start before it gets busy. On the island I know there are groups that ride up to the Peak or out to Shek O.

Not sure if there's any serious riding around Tai Po harbour, you might find a group there.

If you want to hook up with a expatriate club then you could try the HK Dragons triathlon club run by one of my mates. http://www.hktriclub.com/
    Neil Pryde Bura SL
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • A good contact is Flying Ball Bicycle Company. The owner, Mr Lee, is extremely helpful. In my opinion, they are far and away the best bike shop in Hong Kong. They will help you to contact local riders.

http://www.flyingball.com/

I used to cycle a lot in HK, although mainly on the Island. Diesel fumes there were a pain, and there are much better places in the New Territories. Lantau is also good.

Take the bike. You'll regret it if you don't.
  • Thanks for the replies guys!

I'll be working at the airport so I guess a commute will be out of the question! I'm just not sure If I'll get enough use out of it - if I'm only there for 6 months there will be so much else to do with my time off.

Still trying to get to grips with the geography (I was very young last time I was there)
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Hi,
    I lived in HK for 3 years, up near the Chinese border. The riding can be great, but you have to get up early to avoid the heat, dogs and the mental mini-bus drivers.

My favourite rides were the Bride's Pool Road area and Tai Mo Shan up to the observatory.
    Schobiedoo is right - If you're living out near the airport there are regular TTs in that area and several rides around Lantau.

South Island Road Club (SIR) are the most active group of western riders in HK and a nice group of guys. If you drop them an email they can fill you in on what's going on:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/sircycling/

Riding there takes some getting used to, but if you survive you'll be able to ride just about anywhere! If you have any questions, just ask here or PM me.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Hey,

Just thought I'd post a wee update. I moved out here yesterday and brought the bike with me.

I'm staying in the Clearwater Bay area which is hilly as foooook! :D In contrast, I'm working out at the airport which is flat as a pancake and looking at Strava, there seems to be alot of serious riders active in that area.

Also, My uncle who I'm living with is training for a triathlon and is taking me out riding with his mates at some point, so things are looking good!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    If you wanted a commute to the airport then Discovery Bay would have been an option.
  • Yes, there seems to be a group of cyclist in Discovery Bay - the Lantau Buffalos. I'm gasping to give the Lantau Big Buddha climb a seeing to!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    Watch out for the bus drivers on the road to the Big Buddha!
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    Cycling in Lantau Island
    http://app.strava.com/segments/explore# ... pe/terrain

other than that, can't really recommend any route if you are not familiar with the local traffic.
    it's sad to tell you all that the drivers on the road are not quite considerate for cyclists. :(

good luck.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • Yes, I've now got a feel for the local motorists... Overtaking and undertaking without looking or indicating, general lack of understanding of how to use a roundabout etc.

I've been riding the past 2 weekends in the Sai Kung Country Park with a small group of ex-pat triathletes. It's great, no 20mph chainganing or anything but the hills are fantastic for keeping my legs in shape.
    Despite it being a 'Country Park,' cycling is prohibited (wtf?) so the local cyclist ride before 8am to avoid getting fined by the wardens.

I see quite alot of riders out around 6am on weekdays but that's when I'm leaving for my commute so it's weekends only for me unfortunately.

Glad I brought the bike :D

Cheers for a heads up about the bus drivers. They can get a broken wing mirror if they give me any trouble - it's not as if they'll miss it...