Sad endictment on society

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    amaferanga wrote:
    I dunno. Are you surprised that a nurse working in ECG expects people to be unhealthy? Her comments are a reflection of the job she does surely and not of society.

Indeed. Talk to an undertaker and they'll be genuinely surprised you aren't dead :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Rolf F wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    I dunno. Are you surprised that a nurse working in ECG expects people to be unhealthy? Her comments are a reflection of the job she does surely and not of society.

Indeed. Talk to an undertaker and they'll be genuinely surprised you aren't dead :lol:

I appreciate what you're saying, but surely everyone who has an ECG would not be expected (by the nurse) to be on medication. I just thought it a little sad (not for her) that she asked if I was on medication rather than ask what I did, if anything, to have such a good heart rate.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Indictment (I know, i'm a c**t)
  • cyclopath
    cyclopath Posts: 71
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Indictment (I know, i'm a c**t)

You are, in fact, a pedant.

Other descriptions may fit, of course. :P
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    This is why she was asking if you like getting smashed and hoovering up piles of cocaine.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/08/cocaine-alcohol-mixture-health-risks
  • ..."Alas, it goes with the territory, most people I see don't persue a healthy life style and if they have a good heart rate is usually down to medication".

Obviously she's a cake stop regular - your sig gave the game away.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Frank the tank
    ..."Alas, it goes with the territory, most people I see don't persue a healthy life style and if they have a good heart rate is usually down to medication".

Obviously she's a cake stop regular - your sig gave the game away.

:lol::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

• Frank the tank
    I'm reading "A race for madmen" a history of the tour de France. In it it states Eddy Merckx had a resting heart rate of 28 BPM. :shock:
    Tail end Charlie

• Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    When I did my treadmill test a couple of months ago, for heart-related investigations I was told I must not drive home afterwards. When I asked why I was told that my insurance company wouldn't cover me. I had no idea what the treadmill test involved but it sounded pretty scary if I couldn't drive.

When I actually did the test, it amounted to walking on a treadmill, wired up to a couple of monitors. The incline and speed were gradually increased, every 3 mins. It took 22 mins to get to max HR, after which it stopped. I got off and went home. The consultant and nurse said most treadmill tests are over in about 5 mins (not sure how true that is but I could tell the nurse was getting pretty fed up waiting for me to complete mine!). I had to go back the following week to do another one (pleased the nurse no end :) )
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Had exactly the same experience of an exercise ECG a few years back. We all got bored and at the end of the protocol the Dr told me that no one else he sees can manage more than a short walk, let alone get to the end of the ramp test. When I last registered at a new GP the practice nurse commented on my "text book" blood pressure, when asked she said that no one has normal bp! Funny thing is I consider myself unfit and overweight, at least compared with where I'd like to be.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    hstiles wrote:
    This is why she was asking if you like getting smashed and hoovering up piles of cocaine.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/08/cocaine-alcohol-mixture-health-risks

Is it just me that read the article and thought "ah well, tough sh1t".

The older I get, the better I was.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    We should remember that because cycling is so impact free and recovery is so quick it's particularly effective in improving your cardiovascular system. In few other sport could you be putting in a noticeable effort for hours and hours on end like you can on a bike.