Troubles fitting wire beaded tyres

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got some Crossmax ST wheels and some tyre's that have a wire bead. However, they are very tight on the wheel.

When I put the tyre on the rim, it's impossible to get the tyre to sit where it's supposed to. I think the tyre's simply too tight on the wheel, I've had troubles with a wire beaded tyre on these wheels before.

The issue is that when pumping up the tube, the tyre usually pops into place on the rim, but the wire beaded tyre's don't. This is probably because the wire keeps them too tight and doesn't allow the tyre to sit where it's supposed to. The result is that half the bead pops into the rim and the other half of the wheel, the bead sits in the middle of the rim, the result is a very in-balanced tyre.

Any suggestions or useful tips for fitting the tyre?
Thanks

Comments

• try 'lubing' the tyre bead with warm water and washing up liquid should help

pump them up to a high pressure than recommended to pop them on to the bead then let some out

last try turning the tyres inside out over night as this can help as it makes the beads splay out a bit more
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Replace the Mavic tubeless rimstrips with standard rimtape if you're not using UST tyres or a tubeless setup.

Otherwise, do as the poster above suggested.
  • vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    bikaholic wrote:
    Replace the Mavic tubeless rimstrips with standard rimtape if you're not using UST tyres or a tubeless setup.

Otherwise, do as the poster above suggested.
    Wire beaded tires on UST wheels - not good idea.
  • vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    I've got some Crossmax ST wheels and some tyre's that have a wire bead. However, they are very tight on the wheel.

When I put the tyre on the rim, it's impossible to get the tyre to sit where it's supposed to. I think the tyre's simply too tight on the wheel, I've had troubles with a wire beaded tyre on these wheels before.

The issue is that when pumping up the tube, the tyre usually pops into place on the rim, but the wire beaded tyre's don't. This is probably because the wire keeps them too tight and doesn't allow the tyre to sit where it's supposed to. The result is that half the bead pops into the rim and the other half of the wheel, the bead sits in the middle of the rim, the result is a very in-balanced tyre.

Any suggestions or useful tips for fitting the tyre?
    UST wheels are designed for soft bead UST tires. Crossmax are high end racing wheels - why wire beaded tires?
    Thanks