complete noob needs Help with upgrading gears

The Beard Rustler
The Beard Rustler Posts: 23
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
having not ridden a bike for at least 15 years i recently decided to get back into it. I got talked into the truly awful Specialized Hardrock SE from the local cycle shop and am already regretting this!
i am looking to upgrade the gears into something more useful on a limited budget but dont have the first idea where to start or what to look for! instead of the really low gears that i am never going to use i want a couple more higher ones to let me go a bit faster and generally just a better range to choose from.
any advice on what to look for on a limited budget?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 'cassette' they say they have specced is a screw on freewheel, with a 14tooth high gear. Unfortunately to get a higher gear (ie a smaller cog, say 11tooth) you will need to replace the whole back wheel.
  • it says the "cassette replaces the freewheel mechanism of years past for lighter weight and more durability" on description tho, is this just the usual sales bs?
    so i guess there is no cheap option to do this then?
  • supersonic
    We tested the SE - the tester mentions freewheel:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-12-45790

Though it could have been a cassette, or some spec changes. You can check though:

freewheel-vs-k7.jpg
  • thanks for the replies. kinda wish i would have come here to read the reviews on the SE before buying! i will have a look and see if i can figure out which one it has. if it is the freehweel im thinking it may be time to get onto specialized for a free upgrade to what was described!
  • supersonic
    If it is a cassette, easiest way forward would be to simply replace what is on with this:

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/26182/product ... --28T.aspx
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The outer face of a Freewheel looks like this
    http://iphie.en.busytrade.com/selling_l ... heel-.html
    And a cassette with lockring
    http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7/pages/k ... kring.html

If the smallest gear is 14T it is almost certainly a freewheel
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hey cheers for the replies. i have spoken to specialized UK and it is a freewheel, not a cassette as advertised. just waiting to hear back from 'technical' now as to why its being sold as a cassette and what happens next!
    thanks again
  • supersonic
    Interesting! And an important point, as the freewheel system and axle is inferior in many ways.
  • everywhere i look that sells the SE has it listed as a cassette, and like u said super to change the gears to something more useful would require buying a rear wheel and not just the £10 cassette! just waiting to see if i can return the bike after 3 weeks use (complete with cracked pedal) and get the standard hardrock intead.
    doubtful but worth a try!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Well within your rights I would think.... I mean seriously, a freewheel nowadays? That's BSO territory.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • it just doesn't help that i haven't exactly been gentle with the bike so has suffered a few 'scars'.
    i think it may be a bit much to try and get rid of the specialized altogether and go with something else completely (as much as i would like to) so just going to go with the standard hardrock instead if i can.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    it just doesn't help that i haven't exactly been gentle with the bike so has suffered a few 'scars'.
    Well, you're not actually meant to be gentle with mountain bikes.
  • looking like a bit of a deadlock. all they are saying is that "The freewheel is as described in the tech’ spec’ 14/34t 7 speed." (clearly says cassette)
    also that "That bike doesn’t have a disc mount on the frame and has always been built with screw on freewheels" (again also states disc mounts for upgrading!)
    really cant see this one going anywhere by the looks of things so far, but i havent got anything better to do so might as well keep going with it!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    looking like a bit of a deadlock. all they are saying is that "The freewheel is as described in the tech’ spec’ 14/34t 7 speed." (clearly says cassette)
    also that "That bike doesn’t have a disc mount on the frame and has always been built with screw on freewheels" (again also states disc mounts for upgrading!)
    really cant see this one going anywhere by the looks of things so far, but i havent got anything better to do so might as well keep going with it!
    definitely keep going at it - they're in the wrong, pure and simple.
  • yeah thats what i figured but to be honest i'm running out of 'ammo' as i am somewhat lacking in knowledge about bikes and components!
    i have seen somewhere in other forums that they replaced an SE frame due to the lack of disc mounts so there is hope yet!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Post the links you refer to where the spec is given.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • that spec is also quoted on EVERY single other website of anyone that sells the bike!
  • cooldad
    Well these bits are pretty clear
    "•Shimano 7-speed, 14X34t cassette replaces the freewheel mechanism of years past for lighter weight and more durability"
    "•Fully butted A1 Premium Aluminium frame with double ORE down tube for a lighter, more compliant and durable bike, with disc mounts for upgrading"

And I doubt this bit could be used as they are bragging about the upgrade
    "Specifications subject to change without notice."

I'd say you have a case.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Trading standards maybe - just mention to the shop that you see no other option if they won't help.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cheers again for the help guys.
    i have quoted those two to her and she isnt having it at all i even sent a picture with those highlighted and im still waiting to hear back now since i asked how and where to return the bike.
  • supersonic
    They tend to say also 'specification subject to change'. If you bought online, and the shop advertised that spec and it arrived with a different spec you have every right to expect what you paid for.

However, if you visited the store and saw the goods, you have less reason for recourse. Why? Well, you didn't know what cogs it had, and it was only after you found out ie you didn't buy it on the strength of a listed spec.

The only chance you have is if you say you saw it on their website advertising a certain spec, and had no reason to think otherwise in the shop as it is not something that is easily checked.
  • i will be taking it back to the shop 2moz and see what they say. to be fair it does say spec subject to change in the description on the specialized website but NOT from where i bought it!
  • supersonic
    but NOT from where i bought it!

Should have them bang to rights if the shop was advertising it as this!
  • i couldnt see it on evans website anyways....

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e#features
  • supersonic
    Cassette:
    Shimano 7-speed, 14-34t

That's the important bit. It ain't a cassette! Take a copy of the page, and show it to them.
  • i already have it printed out :)
  • supersonic
    My line would be they are advertising something that comes with a lowlier spec, and you were relying on this spec for future upgrades. Make your case that you shouldn't be expected to check this in the shop, and is hard to check anyway - anyone would assume that the 7 cogs were a cassette if it says cassette (and point out the Specialized site too!)

Then ask for an upgrade, compensation or refund. If they refuse, threaten with trading standards.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Threaten them with the advertising standards authority, most trading standards are not now that interested in individual disputes and you may get no joy there, alternatively it's 'money claim online' for your money back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just a quick update.
    Full refund no questions asked when I showed them the spec on their website!
    Thanks for all the help guys! :)
    I'm thinking going with the carrera Vulcan now from halfords. I have actually read reviews on this one first as well!