Road Shoes Damaged Thread HELP!

Oliver19
Oliver19 Posts: 97
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Brought some shimano r133's and being an idiot over tightened one of the screws. Now only two out of the three screws work as they should!

I feel like such an idiot for ruining them.

What can I do?!

Comments

• t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    If you have chewed up the thread a bit then it is probably worth trying to buy/borrow an M5 metric 'tap' (a thread cutter) and carefully seeing if the thread can be cleaned up. Get a new bolt and you should be ok

messy threads can normally be sorted out this way.

Tim

PS - please double check the thread sizes before doing this (it seems to be M5 from 30 sec google search)!
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    they are M5 if they take standard road cleats
  • GB1978
    GB1978 Posts: 2
    With most cycling shoes the threads are on a removeable plate located underneath the insole. You should be able to take this out and replace it. Your local bike shop may have some spare plates kicking about.

Hope this helps
  • Oliver19
    I took the insole out but there's nothing removable from the inside.

Sounds like I'll have to give the m5 tap a go. Until I can do this, will the shoes be ok to use? The cleats aren't going anywhere as far as I can tell by using the turbo.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    If the taps come in a set of 3, make sure you go down with the plug tap after using the taper, just in case the threads are damaged at the bottom of the hole.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Oliver19 wrote:
    I took the insole out but there's nothing removable from the inside.

Sounds like I'll have to give the m5 tap a go. Until I can do this, will the shoes be ok to use? The cleats aren't going anywhere as far as I can tell by using the turbo.

Like many things in life you might get away with it but... foot coming off pedal under load can give an evil bruise (been there done it) on your ankle as it hits the crank - if not worse. MTB SPD's only use two bolts but the cleat is tiny so less leverage...

Personally I'd take a rest day and get it sorted - but I am sure that someone on here will tell you how they circumnavigated the globe with only one bolt and that you should MTFU :mrgreen:
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • Oliver19
    Would a local bike shop be able to offer the service? If so what am I likely to pay, don't want to mess it up any more!

The bolt is tight but it's at it's tightest If that makes sense, if I tightened it anymore then it would be loose again!

So gutted, what an idiot!
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Am I being too simplistic in saying superglue the loose bolt in ... OK, once the cleat is fecked so is the shoe but you'll get a year or so out of them ...

Also, are you not able to use an SPD 2 bolt cleat as well? Not ideal but SPD pedals are cheap and good enough for commuting or winter rides?

Both ideas better than chucking the shoes ...
  • Oliver19
    I'm definately not throwing the shoes! Only brought them today and paid good money! I'm praying that this tap thing or a local bike shop will be able to help...
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Oliver19 wrote:
    I'm definitely not throwing the shoes! Only brought them today and paid good money! I'm praying that this tap thing or a local bike shop will be able to help...

Have you actually checked which thread is buggered? is it the bolt or the receiver in the shoe. If its the bolt then happy days, get a new bolt LBS shoudl be able to supply, however if its the receiver in the shoes get a helicoil repair kit, and I recommend locite on the helicoil when fitting, makes it even more secure.
  • GB1978
    GB1978 Posts: 2
    Hi Oliver,

Once you take out the insole, there may be a glued in lining which you may need to cut through to get at the threaded insert. If you cut a hatch carefully with a stanley knife above where the cleats are you should be able to remove and replace the threaded insert. Once the insole is back on top you won't feel or see the hatch you have cut. This is the only way to get a safe, secure cleat mounting once the thread has been stripped. Glueing etc won't hold the cleat with the force that goes through it.

Here is a link to buy a replacement plate and also an article which shows a picture of the inside of the shoe and where the hatch needs to be:

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/shimano-re ... e_base_gbp

http://www.mountainbikewill.com/index.p ... and-cleats

Good luck!