recovery sorted what about things to eat during your ride?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
well now i have sorted the choc milk for recovery what to have while on the bike? i was bought a load of energy bars and gels for christmas plus got some more from a group on offer a while back so working my way through them on my long rides. there is no way however i really want to keep buying these things for all my long rides(more money to save for swanky gear :-p). i will be honest and say i like the gels even if its a bit of a placebo effect, the bars are a different story however, what do you use that is way cheaper?
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    soreen, figs etc etc
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    frusli cereal bars, wine gums, dried apricots/dates/raisins (go easy though) home made flapjack...
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • ianbar
    i have heard of the soreen idea before and fig rolls too. i would like to stay away from actual sweets though but I'm guessing there no worse than those gels for sugar etc anyway!?
    enigma esprit
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Sweets are LOADS cheaper and you can get them at any old convenience store/ petrol station etc.
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I've always been interested to know if these things go loose in the rear jersey pocket or are in bags. If the latter do you stop and sort it out or fumble around on the go?

I suspect loose is the answer but that must create all sorts of crumbs and sticky stuff??
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    soreen, figs etc etc

+1 on soreen... its so tasty

+1 on flapjacks too

if you are going harder though, jelly babies are good as they give you a big sugar boost. (they are like 70% sugar)

I generally keep my food in a sandwich bag -> I take the bag out of my pocket to access the stuff... and it is a fumble sometimes getting my fingers into the bag as the wind wants to keep them out.
  • ianbar
    how often would you munch on a jelly baby? at the weekend I'm pretty sure i way over did it fuelling wise but to an extent not worried about it on my long ride would rather have a really good ride.
    enigma esprit
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    ms_flapjack_minibites.jpg
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    How big are your pockets Pedle Up?, and the lid must be a real faff on the go;-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    ianbar wrote:
    how often would you munch on a jelly baby? at the weekend I'm pretty sure i way over did it fuelling wise but to an extent not worried about it on my long ride would rather have a really good ride.

100g of the Bassett's ones will give you 80g of carbs (and 1400 calories) each sweet weights something like 6 grams.

So just work it out based on what you would normally eat -> it varies from person to person.

I haven't used them that often so haven't found the sweet spot yet -> they definitely give me a quicker boost than Soreen or flapjack though.
  • Peddle Up!
    smidsy wrote:
    How big are your pockets Pedle Up?, and the lid must be a real faff on the go;-)

I superglue a tub to the top of my helmet before every long ride and dip in as I go along. Nom, nom.

Big of a bugger when it rains though. :(
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    As above really... lots of good advice....

Advantages of the previously mentioned alternatives, as they usually are a lot tastier as well as considerably cheaper than sports bars (or gels).

The main advantage of those synthetic sport specific bars is that they are (usually) very low in fat content... which can be the downfall of alternative products (where some can be high in fat)

It's not a reason not to buy, but worth knowing so that you can compare the food labels between products.
    Simon
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Bananas, white bread with honey.
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    A big chunk of homemade flapjack [dried fruit, loads of oats and honey] got me through my 45mile outing today.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    If you're interested some flapjack recipies in here
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

I superglue a tub to the top of my helmet before every long ride and dip in as I go along. Nom, nom.

Do you have to say, 'Go, go, gadget flapjack!' before the lid will open and let you eat something?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    All of the above :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Peddle Up!
    DesWeller wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Do you have to say, 'Go, go, gadget flapjack!' before the lid will open and let you eat something?

Don't be silly. :lol:
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    jelly babies
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Choco breakfast bars and a banana
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    One advantage of the gels over sweets is that the sugars in the gels are usually predominantly maltodextrin rather than glucose - and these have less of a sugar crash and release slightly more slowly
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Did 112 hill miles around the dales last week. Fuelled it with a ice cream, beans on toast and a scone......not so practical when you can't stop, but damn it was civilised and a pleasant ride!
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    My votes go with:

- Soreen malt loaf, especially the banana flavour one, it's so much more "squidgy" (to use their own description)!
    - Kellogg's elevenses bars (various flavours available but I usually go for the raisin one).
    - Bananas.
    - Peanut butter and jam (or honey) sandwich. Delicious and nutritious but can be messy!
    - Children's fruit bars, such as Organix or Hipp Organic (find them in the baby food aisle). Pretty tasty and don't contain any refined sugar as they are sweetened with concentrated fruit juice/sugars.
    - Humous sandwhich (for a savoury alternative).

One final alternative that I've not tried yet myself would be a chocolate Philidelphia sandwhich. Only sampled the delights of the new "choc Philly" the other week - OMG, it's good, dangerously good... :) Could make a very welcome mid-ride treat!