Trek Remedy seatpost catching on linkage.

ThePriory1978
ThePriory1978 Posts: 563
edited April 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Having ridden and liked a Trek Remedy i've noticed that the seatpost is interrupted by the suspension linkage, a bit of a design fault if I want to dramatcally drop the post when needed.

Whats the best way around this problem?
If i cut down the post then whats the minimum insertion amount i can get away with in the frame for when i need to jack it back up?

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Measure where the minimum insertion is at the minute from the bottom of the post. That's the answer ;-)
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Your frame may have a marking on it that'll tell you where the minimum insert is.

A guide is usually at least 10mm of post below the bottom of the top tube/seat tube weld.
  • Do seatposts have minimum insertion marks? My current bike does not. The Remedy is still in a store was hoping not to go down with a ruler and calculator.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most do, some don't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • usually a ring of 5mm vertical lines near some writing rare for them no to have you cut them down or bought secondhand?
    worst moment ever...
    buzzing down twisting single track then.... psssst BANG!!!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    usually a ring of 5mm vertical lines near some writing rare for them no to have you cut them down or bought secondhand?
    Er missed a post? It's still in the shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    100mm is a common min insertion for posts. Probably safe at that as long as its not a mega long post.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.