Staying in touch over -->

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
As i'll be off to Europe next week i thought it might be a good idea to research a cheap local or global data roaming sim with bundled useful amounts of data.

ooooh no! seems such a thing is a rare as hens teeth, this does not bode well as i've become attached to my unlimited UK & US data packages.

Surely someone on here has the answer?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    itboffin wrote:
    As i'll be off to Europe next week i thought it might be a good idea to research a cheap local or global data roaming sim with bundled useful amounts of data.

ooooh no! seems such a thing is a rare as hens teeth, this does not bode well as i've become attached to my unlimited UK & US data packages.

i was thinking of getting payg sim in france at weekend. Let me know ....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Yup. Get a company phone and cease to care 8)

Seriously though, we have a deal with our broker (Vodafone via Wish Communications) where we tell them which country and how long for in advance, and a much cheaper than normal specific roaming package is applied.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Going to the states?

Just pay a homless guy to carry a wifi-connection for you wherever you go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17345926
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    SimonAH wrote:
    we have a deal with our broker (Vodafone via Wish Communications) where we tell them which country and how long for in advance, and a much cheaper than normal specific roaming package is applied.

aye!

thats we do,
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I heard they're all about to reduce the roaming charges. Does anyone know by how much?
    Total rip-off at the moment.
    exercise.png
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    T-mobile seem to have reasonable rates for roaming in the EU (for definition of reasonable), £10 for 50mb usage over a month. Certainly better than £7.50/mb standard rate on other networks.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    T-mobile seem to have reasonable rates for roaming in the EU (for definition of reasonable), £10 for 50mb usage over a month. Certainly better than £7.50/mb standard rate on other networks.
    Yeah, I used that the last time I was abroad. I thought it was pretty reasonable.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    One other nice thing is once it's used up you have to purchase another 'booster' for another 50mb to continue using, so you're not at risk of getting charged ridiculous rates like £1+ per mb if you unintentionally go over your allowance.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • One other nice thing is once it's used up you have to purchase another 'booster' for another 50mb to continue using, so you're not at risk of getting charged ridiculous rates like £1+ per mb if you unintentionally go over your allowance.

Seem to recall seeing that Vodafone would allow you 25 MB per day for £10 a month. Included if you have a £40 per month contract.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Don't do what a colleagues neighbour did. Whilst in Oz he had a company 3G dongle and was instructed by his company (IT dept) to use it. 1 month later returns to UK and is presented with a 50k bill, man in IT dept. has not been heard of since.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:
    Yup. Get a company phone and cease to care 8)

+1

And take your company laptop with LTE sim and 3G sim....then it is a whole world of seamless, free connectivity.....

**Note, I am not going abroad and would never take my comapany laptop anywhere whilst on holiday!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    gbsahne wrote:
    Don't do what a colleagues neighbour did. Whilst in Oz he had a company 3G dongle and was instructed by his company (IT dept) to use it. 1 month later returns to UK and is presented with a 50k bill, man in IT dept. has not been heard of since.
    Similar thing happened at a place I used to work. Chap went away to Italy for a weekend and came back with a £7k bill. Not quite sure what was in the 1gb of data he downloaded over there, but it probably wasn't work related.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:
    Similar thing happened at a place I used to work. Chap went away to Italy for a weekend and came back with a £7k bill. Not quite sure what was in the 1gb of data he downloaded over there, but it probably wasn't work related.
    wBe4W.png
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    itboffin wrote:

http://www.0044.co.uk/france/

£49 for one month of unlimited data - it's the best deal we have found.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    mrc1 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Yeh thx was looking at that still not wot I'd call a bargain
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    itboffin wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Yeh thx was looking at that still not wot I'd call a bargain

Certainly not - data pricing is a con. This only really becomes acceptable value if you are out there for the full month. That being said, at least with this, you know you won't get hit with a mahoosive bill.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I'm in Germany now. On a mates wifi. Not using data when out and about because I'd rather be drinking beer. Cheers.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    What network're you on ?

Most have some sort of Europe data package that will give you a serious reduction compared to what you'd get if you just roamed off unprepared. They just don't always publicise them well enough.

Before going abroad last year I phoned Orange and ordered their Europe 30 day bundle. Being Orange, they managed to c0ck up the order and texted me AFTER I left the country. And then, as I'd already left, they couldn't sort it out as these things have to be ordered in advance :evil:

I got by just fine using WiFi, my coffee/beer habit >= my data habit.
    Misguided Idealist