giant trance x3

spacemonkey
spacemonkey Posts: 13
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi all

im looking to get my first full sus bike. im looking to get the trance x3 and wanted to know peoples feelings about the bike especially if you own one. im looking to do general riding i.e not down hill or freeride. i was originally looking at getting either a 2011 stumpjumper fsr comp or a 2012 camber comp but found the giant and i thinks it a better bike for the money. I am correct in my thinking? are there any other bikes (for around the giants price tag +-1600) that i should take a look at. any help would be great

regards
chris

Comments

• simonp123
    simonp123 Posts: 490
    I bought a Trance X frame recently and put the nice bits from my older Stumpjumper onto it and I'm very pleased with it. However I did test ride a Trance X2 and found it on the heavy side. It depends what you are looking for and are expecting really I guess. The current Stumpjumper is 140mm travel so probably quite a different ride to a Trance X so you might want to try both.
    Certainly my feelings on the Trance geomerty is that is feels quite a quick bike for its travel and geometry and is quite stable at the fornt end (and that is with my 120mm fork rather than the 125mm factory setup).
  • As I live in Scotland I'm looking to do the majority of my riding, I'm based in aberdeen so there are as many ups as down so something that's isn't the titanic to pedal up hill, I used to do loads of riding in my mid teens haven't ridden since then, I'm now mid 20s, I'm not affraid to service or fix things myself
  • simonp123
    As I live in Scotland I'm looking to do the majority of my riding, I'm based in aberdeen so there are as many ups as down so something that's isn't the titanic to pedal up hill, I used to do loads of riding in my mid teens haven't ridden since then, I'm now mid 20s, I'm not affraid to service or fix things myself

None of the Trance X models are titanically heavy, I think they are all below 29lbs (unless it is a XL frame), the X3 just seemd heavy compared to my Stumpjumper which was around 25lbs. However my bits on the Trance X frame comes out at slightly lighte than the Stumpyr, so I guess the difference was the nice bits I have picked up over the last few years.
    I find mine quicker uphill than my old Stumpy, something in the geometry seems to give me better pedalling efficiency. Try one and see for yourself.
  • andy_welch
    andy_welch Posts: 1,101
    I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago (albeit twice as old :( ) and went for a Trance X2. To me, it offers the ideal mix for an all-round off-road bike. Not too tough on the climbs and pretty forgiving on the way down. I am basically a roadie and have crap bike handling skills (and not much bottle) so wanted a bike that would be fun to ride, versatile and wouldn't get me in trouble.

I'm also based in Aberdeen(shire)! I've got a day odd today so have been riding the Trance around (and over) Bennachie. I've got plenty of complaints about my fitness, lack of skills and lack of bottle, but no complaints with the bike. It is fun to ride, any problems on the climbs are down to my fitness and I'm still surprised at the hits it can take and just keep going.

If I were you I'd get down to Edinburgh Bike Coop and have a chat with Sam. Se if they've still got the X2 demo bike available. You've just missed their 15% off weekend unfortunately, but I'm sure they'll sort something out for you (especially if you need to buy anything else at the same time).

Cheers,

Andy

ps. For balance I should point out that the Boardman FS and Canyon XC bikes have a pretty much identical geometry and travel to the Trance. I dare say that I'd have been just as happy with either of those. But I wanted to support my local(ish) shop, who had given me good advice, arranged a demo and who can take care of any problems.

pps. Here's a gratuitous shot from Bennachie this morning:
    Photo%2002-04-2012%2015%2058%2054.jpg
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    I switched from a 2005 Enduro to a 2011 Trance X3 in January and I'm very happy. The bikes pedals very efficiently and handles anything you throw at it on the way down . I have just been round The Beast at C-Y-B which is a long black graded route and the Trance was superb.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • hi guys

thanks for the replies it has definitely set my mind at ease. My problem is this is going to be the only bike i will be able to afford for quite some time so dont really want to get it wrong, i understand thats theres no such thing as wrong but would hate buy it and find out its totally useless for anything except say big mountain riding which im clearly never going to be doing, thanks for the replies guys i really appreciate it.

regards
    chris
  • simonp123
    andy_welch wrote:
    wanted a bike that would be fun to ride, versatile and wouldn't get me in trouble.

So, why did mine spit me off on Saturday then?! LOL :lol: I swear that tree jumped out on me!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Excellent bike. I had one for two years & it was great, I want another one now.
  • ive got a trance x3 2009. Upgraded from an Anthem. Great Bike, will tackle anything!