Old Rigid MTB to Road

emdiesse
emdiesse Posts: 9
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I have acquired an old specialized hard rock like this:
Specialized+Hardrock+Red.JPG

Would it be out of the question to start an operation to turn this slowly into a road bike?

I have the idea that I could purchase some drop bars and shifters and some slicker tyres first... Ride this around and then slowly start the transformation replacing parts with newer, lighter, better parts as and when I see them on offer. Obviously first off after this looking out for some nice wheels and nice thin slick tyres.

The idea I have really is I can get the drop bars and shifters on it for way under £100 which is cheaper than buying a new bike, it's be rideable as a 'road' bike for under £100 and eventually I will have replaced everything until I am left with the road bike of my dreams?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    :shock:
    Good money after bad IMO. Search the classifieds and get a decent S/H road bike then start upgrading that.
  • emdiesse
    So, the geometries of the frame all wrongs, etc meaning eventually when I actually do change the frames and forks, etc... nothing else will fit and i'll end up having to replace everything again?

I think I am just trying to salvage a mistake I made on the weekend. Bought a load of **** off a friend (His and his brothers old bikes) to salvage parts to fix up two old mountain bikes (which are now working again). In that lot was this and a GT Aggressor Frame with a snapped rear mech hanger so I thought it was a great deal and being a good friend offered him a sum of cash for it all thinking great, I can make my girlfriend a bike using the GT Aggressor Frame (Sourced a new rear mech hanger) and some of the other parts I have until I realised it was an XL frame.

So now I am left with all his junk!

"Good money after bad" - I'll remember that one, I have done a lot of that this weekend!

Another lesson learned!

Cheers.
  • Duffer65
    Duffer65 Posts: 341
    Well, perhaps you can Ebay the 'junk' you have bought and put the money towards a 2nd hand road bike.
    Where would you be if you fell down a hole?.. Stuck down a hole... in the fog... Stuck down a hole, in the fog, at night... WITH AN OWL!
  • emdiesse
    Duffer65 wrote:
    Well, perhaps you can Ebay the 'junk' you have bought and put the money towards a 2nd hand road bike.

Definately going to be doing that, try and get at least some of my cash back. Ah well, I am looking at this as doing a mate a favour! Who knows, if I am lucky maybe I will get more than my money back... but I can't imagine that. Doh!

Cheers! :)