Sore neck and upper back question.

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I have just started to up the mileage and done a 22 mile ride on saturday, after about 19 miles i started to get an ache in my upper back and neck. Other than this ache I felt I could easily have continued cycling. Now my question is, is this an ache from not being used to being in the position for a long period of time and I will eventully become accustomed to it or have I got the bike saddle at wrong height etc.

I have spoken to LBS and they have said it could be that the frame is too small for me, but I dont see how I could go for a larger frame. I am only 5.5 feet and have an inside leg of 28 inches, I currently have a size 51 frame. Surely a larger frame would be too big.

Could anyone offer some advise.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Ultimate advice would be a bike fit but I suspect your saddle/handlebar relationship needs tweaking.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    If you're new to road riding and have recently upped the miles it could just be a case of your body adjusting. I had some lower back and neck pains when I started out but after a few rides it just went. There are some core exercises you can do too.

Incidentally I had my stem raised up high throughout the winter on my cross bike. When I put it back down and started riding the summer bike I had a few neck and back twinges. All fine after 2 or 3 rides.
  • NITR8s
    smidsy wrote:
    Ultimate advice would be a bike fit but I suspect your saddle/handlebar relationship needs tweaking.

I asked LBS about a bike fit, the guy told me it would cost about £100(what the hell) but he is not sure and would get the person who does it to call me back.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    My bike fit cost £130 (Cadence Sport) and it's transformed my riding. Previously, after every ride I'd have lower back pain and shoulder pain, but now I can ride long distances on consecutive days without any soreness at all. I'd say that's well worth the money.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    My bike fit was ace too -> sorted out my cleat alignment issues, and put my saddle in the right place (4.5cm higher!) sorting out leg extension and giving me moar power.

It could be caused by straining to look up though -> this can be solved by keeping the head further down and adjusting the eyes, not the neck.
  • So, I'm a newbie, and have the same issue, I think my handlebars are way to low I strain my neck, and my full weight is on the bars. Question;
    Does the bar height HAVE to be in a certain ratio with the seat, or raise them to comfort?

Ill post pic underneath

• Hmmm, it could be your body adjusting or it could be that your bars are too low so you're straining to look forward. Either way I'm not convinced a larger frame would be the solution as you'll be even more stretched out. I would also get a bike fit with someone reputable. I'm sure your lbs is good but I always suspect an ulterior motive (like selling you a new bike you don't need when some risers will do). Just a thought.
  • NITR8s
    Hmmm, it could be your body adjusting or it could be that your bars are too low so you're straining to look forward. Either way I'm not convinced a larger frame would be the solution as you'll be even more stretched out. I would also get a bike fit with someone reputable. I'm sure your lbs is good but I always suspect an ulterior motive (like selling you a new bike you don't need when some risers will do). Just a thought.

Yer one LBS i spoke to basically said, it sounds like you need a new bike come in and we can get you fitted on a new one.I dont think so, my bikes only 9 months old.

The LBS who quote £100 fitting has one of those trek fitting machines, where the bike is straped into a roller and you cycle on it while they work out what amendments are needed. No doubt its great but £100 is a lot of money for me, considering its like a quarter of the price of my bike.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I think the bike fit is worth it's weight in gold.
    I borrowed a friends road bike and I would often return home with a sore back & pain in my hands. When I went to my LBS and enquired about a new bike I wanted to be reassured that with the right bike I wouldn't have these issues. So, chose the bike I wanted, had a bike fit and everything has been great since.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I think the bike fit thing is over rated - it didnt sort my riding position out, and reduced the power I had for climbs and sprints.

However your problem sounds similar to the one I had, before i reduced the length of my stem by 20mm
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • NITR8s
    Going to try and move saddle forward and up, to adjust for the shorter distance to pedals from moving the saddle forward. Should have same effect as shortening the stem. Im starting the think it maybe caused by poor posture from sitting at a computer screen allday. So neck not used to being held up for long periods of time.
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    NITR8s wrote:
    Going to try and move saddle forward and up, to adjust for the shorter distance to pedals from moving the saddle forward. Should have same effect as shortening the stem. Im starting the think it maybe caused by poor posture from sitting at a computer screen allday. So neck not used to being held up for long periods of time.
    no - I wouldnt if I were you - - buy a £30 stem and try that - moving the saddle may/will cause all sorts of issues
  • NITR8s
    Dont worry Im not gonna adjust anything, Im gonna see if my body adjusts as I was sitting on my bike last night. Thinking to my self I cant see anything wrong with how I am currently positioned.