UST v Tubeless ready

rickyrider
rickyrider Posts: 294
edited April 2012 in MTB general
This has probably already been commented on, but I just thought I'd share my recent tubeless experiences. Having picked up a pair of UST ready wheels a while back, I decided to buy some new Schwalbe 'tubeless ready' tyres. Fitted them fine with latex sealant, and all seemed ok for 24 hours. I then found that they kept deflating despite copious amounts of no tubes solution inside the tyres. Eventually they seemed to be sealed, but I kept burping air out of them when riding and kept having to top up as I went.

Aside from the hassle factor, I found that the handling of my bike was poor compared to tubed. Cornering felt really sketchy in comparison, and I there was noticeable squirm and drift, despite putting good pressures into them. Eventually decided enough was enough and bought some proper Schwalbe UST tyres with much thicker sidewalls. Once fitted the difference was like night and day with the handling - cornering back to normal again and the bike felt so much more focused. And no leaky tyres either.

Having experienced this, I'm struggling to see why anyone would want to ride tubeless ready even if they are a bit lighter.

Comments

• The standard Tubeless ready tyres from schwalbe do have very thin walls and are very prone to rolling in corners.

Swapped my regular tubeless ready ones for some tubeless ready snakeskin doubledefence ones, and it's not an issue any more. It's also still lighter than "proper" UST.

Never had an issue with leaking though, on either set.
  • simonp123
    simonp123 Posts: 490
    I changed my rear to a Schwalbe "tubless ready" Nobby Nick a couple of months back and found that the sidewall sealed almost straight away (unlike the Kenda previously) and have had no issues with air loss or burping. I have Stan's Flow rims, so maybe they work better with the tyres regarding burping as I did not get it with teh Kenda either.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I own a set of Shimano XT UST wheels on my trail bike and a set of Stans rims on my race bike.

On the UST rims, I've run a mixture of UST (easy fit, easy inflate, no burping, no deflating, no issues.) - and TR, which have generally been quite good.

However, I have blown a TR off the UST rim (no tyre damage, but couldnt reseal it with a mini pump so had to put a tube in to get home. My mate - same jump, same TR tyre - blew his tyre off too (although he also twanged all his spokes, put a 6 inch "pinch" gash through the tyre. He's also torn a Shwalbe TR Nic after catching it sideways on an obstacle. Tyre boot and tube to get home.

with the stans rims, I am running Rocket Ron TR. The sidewalls keep leaking air - despite me laying the bike sideways overnight to deploy stans sealant to the correct area. They sometimes stay up for a week...sometimes a day..but despite generous helpings of well shaken sealant, I do have to pump them up quite regularly. It's no big deal though.

I've had no issues with cornering, burping off the stans rims etc during a ride...and i do ride fairly adventurously - although more so on the Trail bike.
  • simonp123
    simonp123 Posts: 490
    Mccraque wrote:
    with the stans rims, I am running Rocket Ron TR. The sidewalls keep leaking air - despite me laying the bike sideways overnight to deploy stans sealant to the correct area. They sometimes stay up for a week...sometimes a day..but despite generous helpings of well shaken sealant, I do have to pump them up quite regularly. It's no big deal though.

But presumably this doesn't relate to the rim if it is the sidewall that is leaking?
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I've had exactly the same issue on my UST Mavics with NN tubeless ready tires. The rear particularly squirms and inspires no confidence unless inflated to useless high pressures. The front isn't as noticeable but once it is worn I will be changing it back to a UST tyre.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    milfredo wrote:
    I've had exactly the same issue on my UST Mavics with NN tubeless ready tires. The rear particularly squirms and inspires no confidence unless inflated to useless high pressures. The front isn't as noticeable but once it is worn I will be changing it back to a UST tyre.

Yep - I found the rear tyre the worst by far for squirm, but front also not great. Pieces of tight singltrack that I enjoyed previously became a total pain - couldn't get anything pinned at all.
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Tubeless ready sucks ass, UST are far more reliable the sealant lasts longer in them and they are far more puncture resitant in the first place due to their beefier carcass, I wish the tyre companys would drop their obsession with crap TL tyres.
    I Ride on my UST tyres
    I sit at the side of the trail fixing my TL ready tyres, talk about a backward step.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Mccraque wrote:

But presumably this doesn't relate to the rim if it is the sidewall that is leaking?

Totally the tyre rather than the rim. Rims are great.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've used various TLR tyres, mostly Specialized 2bliss but also WTB and Bontrager- all worked exactly as they should. The problem you've got isn't with TLR, it's with particular tyres. Haven't used any Squabbly TLR tyres myself but I've used a few non-TLR ones tubeless and they worked fine.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The problem you've got isn't with TLR, it's with particular tyres

+1

Although I've got 8 sets of Schwalbe Tyres, some TR, some of the older standard Evo ones and one pair of the predecessor to those, and all work fine, hold air, and I don't find them squirmy on Stan's Olympics or Podiums.

Also got some Spesh tyres I tend to use on the Olympics and find them stiffer, but not in a good way, feels like there's too much air in them. Heavier too.

Only trouble with TR Schwalbes is how tight they are on the newer Stan's rims, much prefer the old ones, go up far better on my Podiums.