So you don't wear protection?

1mancity2
1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
edited April 2012 in MTB general
We went up lee quarry yesterday and Paul who is 55 and quite capable on a bike was doing the drops over on the DH section, now he has done these hundreds of times but his chain got stuck and flipped him over the bars.

Ran to his aid but he has unconcious for around a minute but got up dazed and bruised, looking at his helmet there is a big indent were he hit the floor and his eldow pads are scuffed, now if he wasn't wearing a decent helmet and pads I would say he would be in hospital now.

So if you think you won't pad up, think on, it can happen at any time so be prepared....
Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It might happen at any time, but then again it might not. Pads are a personal choice... I pretty much never wear pads unless I'm riding full on downhill. Though riding without a lid is daft, if that's what you're getting at.

Pretty sure this has already been discussed at length a few threads down anyway...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Some people will choose to ride without a helment, and no matter what you tell them or what you show them, nothing will ever change their minds. I personally never ride without a helmet.

At the end of the day it's just human nature, in the same way that some people are happy to drive on the M-ways at break neck speed, often without a seatbelt on.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    It might happen at any time, but then again it might not. Pads are a personal choice... I pretty much never wear pads unless I'm riding full on downhill. Though riding without a lid is daft, if that's what you're getting at.

Pretty sure this has already been discussed at length a few threads down anyway...

Indeed.

Pads wouldn't have stopped me breaking my leg last year. Nor would they have stopped the ligaments tearing.

They're designed to prevent a very specific set of injuries. I didn’t wear pads before my accident and I’m not going to start now*.

*None of this applies to DH racing, when my personal opinion is that pads are warranted.