Preserving a steel frame

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
So the old 531 is now painted, a bit patchy but it'll do, tougher and more weather resistant than the old non-paint

Question is now how do I protect it for the future? There was quite a lot of rust all over the place, it's been blasted on the outside and powder coated but how do I protect the inside as well???

Thanks

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Well worth squirting in a load of Waxoyl before you build it up. I used Toolstation's version which is similar, but cheaper:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automot ... 795/p41925
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I dont really know whether its necessary to be honest. I've used waxoyl before, buts its quite thick and probably difficult to coat the inside of the tubes fully. Its also fairly heavy.

Theres one called JP Weagle's frame saver which is supposedley decent but expensive.

I just built up a steel bike at the weekend and used boiled linseed oil to coat it with. It was a messy task, but you can just pour it into the tubes and then slosh it about to ensure a good coverage, then let any excess drain out. Then leave it to dry. Its dirt cheap aswell.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Spa Cycles recommended me to sling gearbox oil down a seat tube to lubricate an old BB. It dripped out for weeks so it would probably be good for coating the rest of a frame.

That said, 531 shouldn't rust much at all if it is kept in a non damp place.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • secretsam
    Rolf F wrote:

Ha ha ha ha haha it's been kept in an old shed, then a garage, and lives outside during the day, as it's my station bike...

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SecretSam wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Ha ha ha ha haha it's been kept in an old shed, then a garage, and lives outside during the day, as it's my station bike...

In that case you need waxoyl injected at 200 psi! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Spray lube will work also - liberal coating, leave to drip out.
  • secretsam
    fossyant wrote:
    Spray lube will work also - liberal coating, leave to drip out.

What sort???? I'm totally confused now, thought you just waxoyl'd it and off you went

• styxd
    As I said, use some frame saver or linseed oil. This is what works the best as you can pretty much guarantee all of the frame is coated, and both dry to form a coating.

Due to the viscosity of waxoil, it wont slosh about in your frame, so its hard to enure all of the tube is coated.
  • The toolstation version of Waxoyl definitely did sloosh about. It's only a few quid for a tin, and it gives you the peace of mind that you've used the proper stuff.
  • styxd
    That sounds bob on then. The waxoyl I used was in an aerosol can and was very sticky.