I specced up a Ribble...

p9uma
p9uma Posts: 565
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I am considering the matter of buying a Ribble, based on the mostly positive reviews I have read about the bikes. However, I have no idea wha I am doing, nor do I really know what the benefits are of some of the items I have specified. Its a case of all the gear no idea, and keeping within a budget. What is the collective wisdom of the esteemed members here of the following?

Ribble Sportive Bianco Carb Road Frame L (55cm C to Top)
Ribble Sportive Bianco Carbon Road Forks 1 1/8" ITS
Ribble Headset Branded Ribble 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS)45 x 45
Shimano Ultegra Grey 6700 10 Spd Double Groupset
Shimano 6700 BB Cups (Ultegra 10 double/triple) Eng
Shimano Ultegra Grey 10 Speed 6700 Brakes
Shimano 10 Spd Ultegra 6700 Cassette 11-28
Shimano 10 Spd 6701 Ultegra Chain Shimano Ultegra Grey Dbl 6750 10 Chainset Cpt 172.5 34/50
Shimano Ultegra Grey 6700 10 Dble Fr Gr Braze-on
Shimano Ultegra Grey 6700 Rear Gear SS Short
Shimano STI Levers Ultegra 6700 10 with Cables Double
Shimano Pr Whls Ultegra 6700 Grey Clincher 8/9/10 Shim
ITM Alutech 6061 (31.8) Bars Black 42 c to c
ITM Alutech 6061 (31.8) Stem Black 100mm
CSN Headset Spacer Alloy 1 1/8 10mm Black
CSN Superleggera K6 Saddle Black
Ritchey Comp V2 Seatpillar White 31.6 400mm
Continental GP4000 Folding Tyre 700x25mm Black Reflect/Black
Yaw Butyl Inner Tube 700x18/25 SV42mm
ITM Cork Embossed Handlebar Tape Black No Pedals currently selected.

£1720.9 inc Del
Trek Madone 3.5
Whyte Coniston
1970 Dawes Kingpin

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Looks good, but what do you want the bike for though? Where abouts do you ride?

I think I'd be tempted to go for some cheaper groupset items so I could spec better wheels. How much extra are the Shimano RS80's?

Sram Rival groupset may work out cheaper if you can select it, and its also lighter than the ultegra and comes in black!

And change the seatpost to a black one aswell.
  • p9uma
    styxd wrote:
    Looks good, but what do you want the bike for though? Where abouts do you ride?

I think I'd be tempted to go for some cheaper groupset items so I could spec better wheels. How much extra are the Shimano RS80's?

Sram Rival groupset may work out cheaper if you can select it, and its also lighter than the ultegra and comes in black!

And change the seatpost to a black one aswell.

I think I can do that, let me see. I take your point about better wheels, good idea.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    Here is another spec, SRAM group set, RS80 wheels

Frame Ribble Sportive Bianco Carbon Road Frame L (55cm C to Top)
    Headset Ribble Headset Branded Ribble 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45
    Groupset Sram Rival 10 Spd Groupset
    Hide Groupset DataBrakes Sram Brakes Road
    Cassette Sram 10 Spd PG 1070 Cassette 11-28
    Chainset Sram Rival OCT Black 10 Spd Chainset 172.5 39/53
    Wheels Shimano RS80 24mm Carbon Laminate Clincher Wheels Pair 8/9/10 Shim
    Handlebars ITM Alutech 6061 31.8 Bars Black 42cm
    Handlebar Stem ITM Alutech 6061 31.8 Stem Black 100mm
    Headset Spacers CSN Headset Spacer Alloy 1 1/8'' 10mm Black
    Saddle CSN Superleggera K6 Saddle Black
    Seatpillar Ritchey Comp V2 Seatpillar Black 31.6 400mm
    Tyres Continental GP4000 Folding Tyre 700x25mm Black Reflect/Black
    Inner Tubes Yaw Butyl Inner Tube 700x18/25 SV42mm
    Handlebar Tape ITM Cork Embossed Handlebar Tape Black
    Price excluding Pedals: £1,541.35
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • styxd
    That looks better to me, although are you sure you want a standard double chainset rather than the compact you had specced before?

Also, a 100mm stem, are you sure about that? Its quite short for a road bike.
  • p9uma
    edited April 2012
    styxd wrote:
    That looks better to me, although are you sure you want a standard double chainset rather than the compact you had specced before?

Bugger! I missed that.

Incidentally, I ride a Cannondale CAAD 9 ATM, I ride for fun and to keep fit and I am going to do 2/3 sportives this year.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • styxd
    If you ride a CAAD9 at the moment, why are you buying a ribble?

I've not ridden either, but I think most people agree the CAAD9 is an awesome frame/bike whereas the ribble is just a cheapo carbon frame from the far east.

Why not jsut spend the money on some upgrades for the CAAD? Thats definitely what I'd do.
  • p9uma
    styxd wrote:
    If you ride a CAAD9 at the moment, why are you buying a ribble?

I've not ridden either, but I think most people agree the CAAD9 is an awesome frame/bike whereas the ribble is just a cheapo carbon frame from the far east.

Why not jsut spend the money on some upgrades for the CAAD? Thats definitely what I'd do.

Ah right! I was wondering if someone might say that!

Arse!
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • styxd
    Another alternative - If you like the fit and ride of the CAAD but fancy a new one, paulscycles were selling the CAAD10 105 for about £1000. But that, then spend £300 on some RS80s from planet x and you'd have a decent bike for £1300.
  • p9uma
    styxd wrote:
    Another alternative - If you like the fit and ride of the CAAD but fancy a new one, paulscycles were selling the CAAD10 105 for about £1000. But that, then spend £300 on some RS80s from planet x and you'd have a decent bike for £1300.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Not sure if i would be looking at a Ribble for £1700 to be honest... i'm sure its a great bike -> but the frame doesn't really fit the spec in my opinion? i could be wrong though.. but the reviews I've seen for Ribble are around the £1k price point where you are obviously expecting less than a £1700 bike!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited April 2012
    +1 above!

£1000 - £1200 is a sweet spot for Ribble. The specs in the Special Edition section are limited, but suit the bikes, and are cheaper for the same components.

Mind you, many people would be happy to pay eg £1700 for a worse spec'd De Rosa with the exact same frame........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I would stick with the CAAD9 also - the caad9 was used by the tour de france as their yellow mavic branded neutral service bikes so they clearly aren't rubbish :-)

the difference between that and the CAAD10 and the ribble is negligible - a new set of wheels and tyres would be a big improvement and as much bike as you'd need for a long time (hang onto the old ones for winter riding or emergencies)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • p9uma
    edhornby wrote:
    I would stick with the CAAD9 also - the caad9 was used by the tour de france as their yellow mavic branded neutral service bikes so they clearly aren't rubbish :-)

the difference between that and the CAAD10 and the ribble is negligible - a new set of wheels and tyres would be a big improvement and as much bike as you'd need for a long time (hang onto the old ones for winter riding or emergencies)

Based on what I can make out having read the articles and specs of the Caad 10 and the Ribble, there is not a lot of point in changing my bike (CAAD 9). An upgrade of wheels, is a possibilty, but others have said on another thread, that is also a fairly negligable upgrade at my level of riding.

I might save my money and not bother or possibly by a Mountain Bike.
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    p9uma wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

Based on what I can make out having read the articles and specs of the Caad 10 and the Ribble, there is not a lot of point in changing my bike (CAAD 9). An upgrade of wheels, is a possibilty, but others have said on another thread, that is also a fairly negligable upgrade at my level of riding.

Noooooooooooo, can't believe everyone is putting you off buying a new bike, what happened to the n+1 rule! Surely a MTB doesn't count.

Look at the Ribble new sportive in the special edition bikes should be about £1100 ish with 105 or rival, sell the wheels and get some RS80's from merlin or planet x. You'll have a nice light bike then.
  • p9uma
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    p9uma wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

Noooooooooooo, can't believe everyone is putting you off buying a new bike, what happened to the n+1 rule! Surely a MTB doesn't count.

Look at the Ribble new sportive in the special edition bikes should be about £1100 ish with 105 or rival, sell the wheels and get some RS80's from merlin or planet x. You'll have a nice light bike then.

:D GOD! I wish I hadn't asked now! To different many opinions and I am non the wiser. :D

What is N+1 rule?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Actually the CAAD 9 is a highly regarded frame and the above advice is pretty good.

You could kit it out with some fabulous wheels and have a lot of change left over for other stuff. Unless there is anything you don't like about the CAAD, maybe it's too racey, then upgrades might be the way to go.

n+1 =

Where n is the current number of bikes you own and the answer is how many bikes you should own.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    N+1 basically means no matter how many bikes you have now (N) you always need another (+1).

I bought a used CAAD5 in Jan and am already thinking new bike for Summer - it gets addictive.

Doh - Petes post had been submitted in the time it took me to write mine. sigh
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • p9uma
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Actually the CAAD 9 is a highly regarded frame and the above advice is pretty good.

You could kit it out with some fabulous wheels and have a lot of change left over for other stuff. Unless there is anything you don't like about the CAAD, maybe it's too racey, then upgrades might be the way to go.

n+1 =

Where n is the current number of bikes you own and the answer is how many bikes you should own.

There is nothing at all about the CAAD 9 I dislike, it is a smashing bike, I'm even happy with the wheels, I was happy with the tyres until someone said change them, they're pants.

I just thought I'd spec up a ribble 'cos I could and the the enemy is considering one as well. I have gone right off the idea now though. I have just been for a quick 15 mile blat on my bike and it's ACE, comfortable, the wheels go round when I peddle them a bit, the stoppy things work when I'm going to fast and its nice and black it looks like a stealth bike.

I get the N+1= , now. There is a similar formula for drummers with regards to Snare Drums
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • p9uma
    smidsy wrote:
    N+1 basically means no matter how many bikes you have now (N) you always need another (+1).

I bought a used CAAD5 in Jan and am already thinking new bike for Summer - it gets addictive.

Doh - Petes post had been submitted in the time it took me to write mine. sigh

<like>
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • I've just collected my sportive, it is much lower specced than your intended and it is still utterly awesome to ride.
    I would agree with some of the comments about down grading the groupset a little and putting the money into the wheels and tyres instead, which is basicaly what I did.
    You may possibly be better off choosing the upgraded headset also, I have read that the standard ones can be a bit naff, in my case time will tell, cos I got the cheapo one.
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    I now understand why i am constantly looking at bikes, even though i love mine. N+1, i knew i should have stuck to running. Why was i not warned about N+1.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    Having just got back into cycling after a 5 year lay off I wanted to get a new bike and too specked one up on ribble but I was forced into getting a new wheel set because the original rear rim failed. It was the best thing that could have happened, I bought a pair of Mavic Aksiums and the bike felt like new. I've since changed a few other bits and haven't considered changing it. So in short, upgrade your wheels and save a few pounds.