Matching Rear Mech & Shifters for Flat Bar Hybrid?

jonnyboy77
jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
edited April 2012 in The workshop
I have built up a Ridgeback Flight 05 from components, and been riding it on and off over the past few months, but now I have the itch to finalise some of the compromises I made. Notably the drivetrain.

I run the bike 1x8 at the moment, with a Surly single chainring at the front (46t) and an old Megarange cassette, LX rear derailleur & 8sp Grip shift (all taken from an old bike). The LX mech has been better days, the megarange cassette is a little annoying too, my regular (MTB) commuter uses the SRAM PG 950 11-32 but I was looking to go a little more road orientated.

What I'd like to do, on a budget, is look at something like a Sora short cage mech, a Tiagra 12-25 cassette and shifters to suit .. and that's my current puzzle, which shifters (flat bar) would work best in this setup? I like gripshift for the clean lines and simplicity, but wonder if I'd be better with thumbshifters like the Deore 9sp M590 - assuming they'll work with the chosen rear derailleur?

The bike in question:
th_flight05.jpg

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Jon
Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url

Comments

• rosebikes.co.uk are pretty cheap for shifters, but only sram do twist versions and I think you will need a sram rear mech to work with them. They also have reasonably priced 9spd Shimano flat bar shifters.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • jonnyboy77
    Thanks.

Some more web research has led me to the conclusion that I could easily mate the Sora rear mech with a set of Deore thumb shifters.

My only remaining dilemma is that if I want to go conservative on the rear cassette (11-32) then I need to get a long cage mech, or I could bite the bullet and go with the Tiagra cassette and stick with short cage,

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • The sofa rear mech might not like the 32 tooth cassette, the top jockey wheel may rub against the largest sprocket when you are in bottom gear. A short cage mech will cope with quite a large gear range though, I have 28-11 on the back and 50-34 on the front with no issues.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • jonnyboy77
    I have started to look more at sticking with what I know and getting a Deore MTB rear mech, which leaves me with a wide range of choices on rear cassette. I'll hook this up to some Deore thumb shifters and see what happens!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Sora rear won't go larger than 28T, Shimano tech docs and our effort on the daughters bike both confirm this! SRAM road rear mechs seem to do it though, otherwise stick with an MTB rear mech.......

Have an XT short cage rear mech for sale..........

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jonnyboy77
    Simon

I've sent you a pm

Thanks

Jon
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    rosebikes.co.uk are pretty cheap for shifters, but only sram do twist versions and I think you will need a sram rear mech to work with them. They also have reasonably priced 9spd Shimano flat bar shifters.
    Not true, I'm using SRAM GripShift MRX 3.0, Shimano SLX Mech on an SRAM 12-32 cassette.

The above logic applies to the newer SRAM 1:1 Actuation Ratio Shifters and Mechs
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.