My first 35mile.... hilly north devon

ahstueyman
ahstueyman Posts: 76
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Ok...so I know its not huge and for many others this is the norm for a ride, but this is my 35 mile route that i did yesterday. I generally have been doing 10-20 mile routes, with my favourtie 17miles being done in 1 hour 6 minutes

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/79851513

Unfortunately I dont have any other data than the map and the time I did it in, 2 hours 28 minutes. ( I do also want to point out I had played 90 minutes of football on the saturday, so the legs were feeling a bit heavy) Id like to think I could of shaved some of this time off if I had fresh legs.

Let me know what you think, the middle climb from 18-25 miles was particuarly slow so i feel this is definately the place to pick up the time in the future.

Comments

• Yeah im not exactly too fixated on the average speed side of things but I think personally I will continue to time each ride but still how i do it at the moment, i set the timer as i start and leave it in my saddle bag and dont look until I finish so I dont get hung up about time whilst im riding. I do find it enjoyable to see times improve though.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    ahstueyman wrote:
    Ok...so I know its not huge and for many others this is the norm for a ride, but this is my 35 mile route that i did yesterday. I generally have been doing 10-20 mile routes, with my favourtie 17miles being done in 1 hour 6 minutes

Unfortunately I dont have any other data than the map and the time I did it in, 2 hours 28 minutes. ( I do also want to point out I had played 90 minutes of football on the saturday, so the legs were feeling a bit heavy) Id like to think I could have shaved some of this time off if I had fresh legs.

Let me know what you think, the middle climb from 18-25 miles was particuarly slow so i feel this is definitely the place to pick up the time in the future.

Unset the privacy tag on your mapmyride link that way it can be read
  • freezing77 wrote:
    ahstueyman wrote:

Unfortunately I dont have any other data than the map and the time I did it in, 2 hours 28 minutes. ( I do also want to point out I had played 90 minutes of football on the saturday, so the legs were feeling a bit heavy) Id like to think I could have shaved some of this time off if I had fresh legs.

Let me know what you think, the middle climb from 18-25 miles was particuarly slow so i feel this is definitely the place to pick up the time in the future.

Unset the privacy tag on your mapmyride link that way it can be read

Yeah sorry Ive just sorted this....should be alright now?
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    Congrats on your first 35 miler. As you say that's nothing to most of the regulars but they quickly forget they had to start somewhere. Decent looking climbs too.

I've been riding for two months now and broke 40 miles for the first time this weekend. That's a big deal for me as my usual rides are in the 15-25 range.

Next target, 50.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,617
    ahstueyman wrote:
    Yeah im not exactly too fixated on the average speed side of things but I think personally I will continue to time each ride but still how i do it at the moment, i set the timer as i start and leave it in my saddle bag and dont look until I finish so I dont get hung up about time whilst im riding. I do find it enjoyable to see times improve though.
    Sounds like a sensible attitude.

BTW, I wouldn't go too hard yet up the hills round your way - it's all too easy to overdo it on the hard stuff and then have nothing left for the flat bits and/or the second half of the ride. With experience you'll find you can judge how hard you can go up hills without knackering yourself, but I'd tend to err on the side of caution there for now.
  • ahstueyman wrote:
    Yeah im not exactly too fixated on the average speed side of things but I think personally I will continue to time each ride but still how i do it at the moment, i set the timer as i start and leave it in my saddle bag and dont look until I finish so I dont get hung up about time whilst im riding. I do find it enjoyable to see times improve though.
    Sounds like a sensible attitude.

BTW, I wouldn't go too hard yet up the hills round your way - it's all too easy to overdo it on the hard stuff and then have nothing left for the flat bits and/or the second half of the ride. With experience you'll find you can judge how hard you can go up hills without knackering yourself, but I'd tend to err on the side of caution there for now.

Yeah this is definately the case, as I said on the middle section uphill of the ride I really slowed the pace, id rather go slow than go hard and need to stop for five minutes and recover !
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    As above, don't get fixated by speed. That will come naturally as you get stronger/fitter.

Don't do what I do at the end of a ride ie look at my average speed, see it is 14.9 mph and sulk for the rest of the day because i was so sure it was going to be over 16mph.

It ruins the ride.

Congrats on your ride though, some nice hills in there.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Unfortunately I dont have any other data than the map and the time I did it in, 2 hours 28 minutes.
    don't get fixated on times and averages just go out and enjoy every ride and take a good look around at our fantastic countryside :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,188
    That's a good effort for a new rider on those roads. Keep at it and you'll soon be doing metric hundreds and more.
  • Well done, it's good to reach the milestones (if you excuse the pun) and the nicer weather makes it easier. Once you start the longer distances they will quickly become the norm. I did my first 50 miler last weekend, then did a 100km the following day, and then did another 50 miler this weekend. Before that I was only doing 25 mile rides with the occasional 40 miler when time/weather allowed. Now I see the 50 miler as the default value going forward, and I will look to increase that over the coming months.
  • Thanks guys, my legs are feeling it a bit today but as the sun is still out and forcasted rain for tommorow im going to sneak my 17mile loop in after work :) roll on the summer!
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    ahstueyman wrote:
    Thanks guys, my legs are feeling it a bit today but as the sun is still out and forcasted rain for tommorow im going to sneak my 17mile loop in after work :) roll on the summer!

I know how your legs feel. I did my first 40+ mile ride for 28 years on Saturday. Didn't go out Sunday and have just done a 10 mile ride to my parents on my Hybrid and my legs felt pretty heavy.

Still, I am sure it will get easier.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    ahstueyman wrote:

I live up on Exmoor very close to the area you rode yesterday. It's so incredibly hilly around here that I would forget about average speed if I were you, it's meaningless.

To be honest, though I'm biased, I'd say there was nowhere better in the country for riding a road bike, but also nowhere harder. Get good around here and you'll be holding your own pretty much anywhere in the country.

You're doing fine.