Specialized Rockhopper v Hardrock Sport Disc Int

pauldaddyadams
pauldaddyadams Posts: 8
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have decided to take advantage of my Cycle to Work Scheme and buy a new bike, my budget for this would be around £500-600 but this is flexible.

I must admit I am a complete novice regarding knowing what type of bike I want. Doing some research I have decided to go for either a mountain or Hybrid bike. I will maninly use this bike to commute but would like to have the option to use it off road at very basic courses/trails.

The only pre-requisites I have are:
• Light
• Hydraulic Disc Breaks
• Must have front suspension

I have been recommended the Specialized Rockhopper v Hardrock Sport Disc Int bikes. Are these good bikes?

There is £150 difference in price, what would be the benefit of paying this extra for the Rockhooper?

Any advice is appreciated

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    How far is your commute? However much I love the Hardrock, it (or any other MTB) wouldn't be my go-to bike for commuting on roads.

But back to your original question - the difference is mainly the frame - there are a few differences in spec as you go up and down the Hardrock/Rockhopper range, but the frame seems to be the biggest difference. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the Hardrock frame, although some here have said that the forks are pretty dire on both models
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Thanks for replying.

My commute is only 15 mins sp not far at all really. its the weekends where it will get most of its use.

What would be your choice?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rockhopper, without a doubt, the fork on the Hardrock is rubbish.