Rider down. Blackfriars underpass, tunnel turnoff.

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited April 2012 in Commuting chat
:shock: Anyone see it, went past about 8:10 and there looked to be no cars involved, one roadie down still lying on the road with another 2 or 3 on phones. The guy was moving and making noise so hopefully not too serious but bit worried that he was still on the tarmac. looked to be a collision on the slip road exit if you go eastbound down the underpass and then turn left immediately before the tunnel. Anyone here? :?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Saw him myself as well. He was sitting up and looked more or less fine (probably shaken up) with a couple of police/ambulance people with him.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    All clear by 8:25 when I came past.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    I went through at half seven, and I found that going east after Temple, the surface was very greasy. Not sure why, no apparent rain but I laid some power down going into the tunnel and nearly lost the back end. That feeling you get when you corner with underinflated tyres and it "rolls" about. Thought I had a slow, but when I checked the rear tyre it was harder than Nelsons Column so I put it down to a slippery road.
  • AirTime
    AirTime Posts: 30
    mr ribble

the road is not greesy its the new double red lines that is causing the problem. its happened to me everday since last thursday so i stopped just after the tunnel (heading east) and was thinking christ i've got a puncture but its the red paint in that it is slightly raised and prominent so causes a lot of wobble when the wheels go over and across the groove.

be careful along that stretch from the tunnel all the way to monument.

hope the rider is ok
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    i went down there this morning - a bit earlier than this one - about 7.50.

went down for no discernable reason and hit the road hard. bike is fine -but my left side and face now have a healthy dose of road rash and double open dislocation of my right thumb. pulling off glove and seeing bone aint good. was v disorientated for a few minutes so didnt manage to say thanks to the rider and the guy from the building site that came and helped which I regret. Then finished ride to work and got taken to hospital.

as there was nothing near me when i went down and it was so sudden i think there must have been oil or similar on the road. gutted - now enforced time off bike commuting and wrecked plans for big weekend of riding :-(. best avoid that turn-off.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Ouch, hope you feal better soon.

Has anyone reported it to TFL?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Crikey, What on earth is it I wonder? Diesel spill? Coming off like that.....thank goodness nothing hard behind you.

Hope it fixes quick Medders - that's a nasty injury.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Fix up soon medders. Was slippy there this morning. Couldn't work out where it had come from.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fix up soon! From the looks of your sig it wasn't the guy I saw - white BMC something.

Heading to London Bridge all this week so might start playing it safe and either head up and over to the left or right over Lambeth.
  • mr_ribble
    AirTime wrote:
    mr ribble

the road is not greesy its the new double red lines that is causing the problem. its happened to me everday since last thursday so i stopped just after the tunnel (heading east) and was thinking christ i've got a puncture but its the red paint in that it is slightly raised and prominent so causes a lot of wobble when the wheels go over and across the groove.

be careful along that stretch from the tunnel all the way to monument.

hope the rider is ok

Mr AirTime

It was greasy.

Mr Ribble
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Mr Ribble, I find staying off thermoplastic paint (ALL lines) quite handy. What do you reckon?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • mr_ribble
    Yes, there is no need to be cycling six inches from the curb.

I admit there are times when you do have to cross lines, but I avoid it where all possible. Not as bad as metal man hole covers. I've seen many people loose back ends if they hit one in the wet and on an angle.

If you cant avoid one, just stay as straight as damn possible!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @ Medders - ouch! How are you off the bike? As said, bloody good job no-one was behind you.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    I went through at half seven, and I found that going east after Temple, the surface was very greasy. Not sure why, no apparent rain but I laid some power down going into the tunnel and nearly lost the back end. That feeling you get when you corner with underinflated tyres and it "rolls" about. Thought I had a slow, but when I checked the rear tyre it was harder than Nelsons Column so I put it down to a slippery road.

Does Nelson know you are sharing intimate details of him on a forum?

(Needs an apostrophe btw).
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    When I went throught there yesterday at about 0840 there was ambulance, ambulance bike and a fire engine with the whole road covered in grit and sand. I was looking for a crashed car with a fuel spill but couldnt see anything, nor anyone being tended to. Needed an NBC mask to stop choking and streaming eyes from all the dust being kicked up by traffic going through the lights.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Hi medders, hope you heal up soon. From the various reports and doing a bit of a columbo it sounds like you hit the deck first at around 07:50 but managed to wheel off slowly to work. Then about 10-15 mins later someone else went down hard in the exact same spot, he was the guy we saw lying on the ground. Building site guy was there again that time and must have told plod that there was string of people, fire brigade turn up and soak up the probable diesel spill with sand. V nasty. Not to stir things but the site operator is probably liable for any injuries if it was spilt froma vehicle entering or leaving the works. Might be worth pursuing if you have to pay for PT for the next few weeks?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I went past there last night and noticed that there was lots of sawdust (or similar material) on the junction. This is often put down to soak up fuel leaks. It would therefore suggest that the powers that be believed there had been something on the road surface
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Just to confirm there was loads of sand down there this morning, definitely some sort of fuel spill I would wager.
    <a>road</a>
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    cheers guy. aching in places i didnt know I had today. Checked out bike and gear today and all fine. except helmet which has a bloody great big dent/crack in it. Which would explain my headache as I had thought I had successfuly cushioned my landing with just my face and thumb.

@ CJ - cant ride with thumb in this state. Hoping I can give it a go next week if my follow-up appointment confirms it doesnt need pinning. Wife wont be happy but there you go.

@ koncordski - I fear that would be fruitless as I doubt anyone would be able to work out whether it was a vehicle from the site that shed the deisel. and tbh unless it was totally clear cut and easy I cant really be bothered with making a claim.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hit head - headache?

Go see a doctor.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Ouch - hope you heal up soon.

Diesel spills are horrible. I've come off on two - front wheel just went in an instant and I smacked my helmet good and hard. Just nothing you can do about it. Scary.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    spen666 wrote:
    I went past there last night and noticed that there was lots of sawdust (or similar material) on the junction. This is often put down to soak up fuel leaks. It would therefore suggest that the powers that be believed there had been something on the road surface
    Just to confirm there was loads of sand down there this morning, definitely some sort of fuel spill I would wager.

They'd put that down yesterday morning before I went through at about 9am. They must have realised after the couple of accidents.

@medders ouch! Heal up fast
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides